• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Anyone heard of the 4-7 day wait between pepper tests/taste?

I ask because I saw one chili eater on youtube say that one should wait 4-7 days between pepper testing/tasting in order for capsacin receptors in mouth & throat to re-open. That way, one will get the full effect of the pepper. The reasoning makes sense to me but I'm wondering if it is in fact true?

never herd that before, i eat/review a super hot every day sometimes 2 a day. I have a real high heat tolerance and super hots are still super hot. besides if you have a dozen peppers you want to review if you wait 4-7 days between peppers the ones at the end will go bad.

I don't know. It makes sense but then your resistance doesn't completely fade in a few days. It will take a lot longer to get to normal people levels lol.

I also ask because I ate a douglah and a few days later a green bhut. bhut didn't seem that hot at all. Maybe because I removed the seeds and this also removed a portion of the placenta and then I air dried it. I always wondered if dried are less hot than fresh too.

That strikes me as ridiculous.

The receptors are open again by the time the heat fades. Your tolerance may be higher! but as has been previously stated, thats not returning to "normal" in just a few days...

That strikes me as ridiculous.

The receptors are open again by the time the heat fades. Your tolerance may be higher! but as has been previously stated, thats not returning to "normal" in just a few days...

What is normal ?? lmao where not "normal" just because we put ourselves through the torture.

I don't see it as torture.

Normal people are scared by Jalapenos I think...

Normal for us might be some what hotter. but most of us can't define normal as being one who eats bhut on everything (though, Ed currie might find normal to be somewhat spicier).

I think a lesser hot pepper would be considerably less hot if i ate it shortly after eating say..... a 7-Pot. I'm not saying there is science behind it but I tend to believe it.

I think a lesser hot pepper would be considerably less hot if i ate it shortly after eating say..... a 7-Pot. I'm not saying there is science behind it but I tend to believe it.

But that has to do with your own tolerances being higher not some hokum about capsaicin still being bound to your pain receptors. IF capsaicin were still bound to your pain receptors, than you would still be in pain.

Actually that makes some sense, If the chemistry and receptors work in any way like seratonin channels.

It's well known that you can build tolerance/ deplete reservoirs of seratonin causing depression.

I'd tend to err on the side of waiting more than 5 days between reviews.

And then throw into the mix.....

if a person is waiting 5 days betweeen fresh pod tasting/reviews.....are they abstaining from ALL hot sauces/spicy foods (including something as simple as pepperoni) in their 5-day waiting time? That's the only way to have a completely FromZero Tolerance taste test. I think, if they eat ANYTHING spicy during the wait time, they negate their own theory. Heat tolerance doesn't apply just to fresh pods.

Just because someone has a heat tolerance doesn't mean they can't discern differences in heat levels and flavor profiles of chiles, sauces etc. If they do a review/video/etc, they just need to keep that in mind in how they describe the item. Being aware that a 2 for a chilehead is probably a 4 or 5 for the GenPop.

Definitely doing back-to-back (like within an hour or 2) tests would seem to have skewed results. But 24 hours should be enough for the mouth to get back to a normal state, whatever that normal state is for that person.

I also ask because I ate a douglah and a few days later a green bhut. bhut didn't seem that hot at all. Maybe because I removed the seeds and this also removed a portion of the placenta and then I air dried it. I always wondered if dried are less hot than fresh too.

To me, the fresh ones seem hotter because of the high water content. Since capsaicin is hydrophilic (forcefully moved around by water, basically), the high water content of fresh peppers spreads the oils around to a lot more pain receptors in your mouth and throat, causing the burn to feel more intense. I definitely prefer powders or sauces these days, but I still do the obligatory fresh pod tests to get a gauge of the intensity of the burn, as well as the fresh taste, which can't be beat with the right varieties.

I didn't think capsaicin was hydrophilic at all. Hydro = water and philic = attraction or affinity. If capsaicin was hydrophilic then wouldn't water bind to it all in your mouth and you could slosh some around and then diminish the burn instantly. I thought capsaicin was like oil and was hydrophobic.

I watched a blind sauce heat rating competition at a chilli festival and it seemed ridiculous to me because they mixed up all the sauces and after people had tasted number 4 or something they were just in pain and weren't able to try the next one.

For pod reviews one day would be plenty of time for the mouth to reset enough to give an accurate taste test. You could probably do two in a day if you washed your mouth out enough. Of course if a superhot is churning over in your guts for a while that might alter your reaction.

I do mine about every 5 to 6 days. Just works out that way for me. Lets my stomach settle down and i get ready for the next one. With work, family, honeydo list, just life, i can get one in once a week. I think sometimes you can overkill it with too many test/ reviews in one week. I also try to spread it out a bit thats just me tho.

Actually that makes some sense, If the chemistry and receptors work in any way like seratonin channels.

It's well known that you can build tolerance/ deplete reservoirs of seratonin causing depression.

I'd tend to err on the side of waiting more than 5 days between reviews.

Tolerance is one thing "receptors blocked" is another. There are indicators in the consumption of both compounds in our body. While serotonin is being processed by our brain, we have positive feelings, happier outlook and so forth. With Capsaicin we feel a burning sensation in the receptors that are exposed to the compound.

In a person without the natural production of serotonin, we would notice a marked decline in mood once the dose of serotonin fades. In capsaicin we do not produce this naturally, but when our exposure to it is waning, we have a decrease in the pain in the exposed areas (mouth, throat, stomach, etc).

Its like a car that has a flat tire as they are entering an expressway. They may plug up the on-ramp for a minute, but once the tire is changed traffic once again flows freely.

That said your brains sensitivity to the pain response delivered by the same stimuli decreases over time.

If a certain intersection always has an accident (frequent repeat exposure), then you learn to drive using alternate routes, decreasing the experience of exposure to bad traffic from that intersection.

With peppers you will still feel the heat, but your brain adjusts the level of stimuli required to trigger the pain response mechanisms...

id do it over and over again if it wasnt for my gut.. damn GERD...i love the endorphin rush....

now if i can have someone to send me some miracle berries to do taste test with.. would be more fun.. =D *wink*

Tolerance is one thing "receptors blocked" is another. There are indicators in the consumption of both compounds in our body. While serotonin is being processed by our brain, we have positive feelings, happier outlook and so forth. With Capsaicin we feel a burning sensation in the receptors that are exposed to the compound.

In a person without the natural production of serotonin, we would notice a marked decline in mood once the dose of serotonin fades. In capsaicin we do not produce this naturally, but when our exposure to it is waning, we have a decrease in the pain in the exposed areas (mouth, throat, stomach, etc).

Its like a car that has a flat tire as they are entering an expressway. They may plug up the on-ramp for a minute, but once the tire is changed traffic once again flows freely.

That said your brains sensitivity to the pain response delivered by the same stimuli decreases over time.

If a certain intersection always has an accident (frequent repeat exposure), then you learn to drive using alternate routes, decreasing the experience of exposure to bad traffic from that intersection.

With peppers you will still feel the heat, but your brain adjusts the level of stimuli required to trigger the pain response mechanisms...

It's a bit more complex than that, http://www.hysafe.org/science/eAcademy/docs/Nature_v389_p816to824.pdf

Capsaicin is a neurotoxin
"Some of this decreased sensitivity to noxious stimuli
may result from reversible changes in the nociceptor, but the longterm
loss of responsiveness can be explained by death of the
nociceptor or destruction of its peripheral terminals following
exposure to capsaicin2,5."

I didn't think capsaicin was hydrophilic at all. Hydro = water and philic = attraction or affinity. If capsaicin was hydrophilic then wouldn't water bind to it all in your mouth and you could slosh some around and then diminish the burn instantly. I thought capsaicin was like oil and was hydrophobic.

I watched a blind sauce heat rating competition at a chilli festival and it seemed ridiculous to me because they mixed up all the sauces and after people had tasted number 4 or something they were just in pain and weren't able to try the next one.

For pod reviews one day would be plenty of time for the mouth to reset enough to give an accurate taste test. You could probably do two in a day if you washed your mouth out enough. Of course if a superhot is churning over in your guts for a while that might alter your reaction.
Story below concerning guts. Congrats on the Throwdown Crown ;)
id do it over and over again if it wasnt for my gut.. damn GERD...i love the endorphin rush....

now if i can have someone to send me some miracle berries to do taste test with.. would be more fun.. =D *wink*

Thanks everyone for all the input. Much more info than I thought was available on the subject.

Ate part of a India Bhut Guhahati from cmpman1974 today. Went to the store to get some milk expressly for cooling down after the obligatory 10- minutes of voluntary suffering. Turns out, I bought plenty of things at the store but forgot the milk. :confused: (I have since read that 'cultured' dairy products are better for cooling down such as yogurt, buttermilk, etc...)

Decided to do the taste test anyway because I was determined by this time to carry-on. Suffice it to say i had not taken into account a "Jamaican Patty" I had eaten from a Mini Mart the previous day & my stomach was still growling. When I added the pepper it was like dropping a match into a pile of fireworks. :onfire: I'll never do a test on a superhot w/ an unsettled stomach again. :surprised:

Back