• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Anyone here grown and tasted the giant thai hot pepper?

Recently I saw a chef on the travel channel using a giant thai pepper about the size of a jalapeno which he said was very very hot, so I googled it and cross country nurseries sells the plants and says its very hot, and then I found park seed has the giant thai hot seeds to sell but they say it's only 6000 SHU... I wonder are these the same pepper... has anyone here grown these and tasted them?

thanks...

apple pie

cross country nurseries: http://www.chileplants.com/
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/GP/homepage/page1

Thai Giant

THAI GIANT - very hot; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; matures from green to red; upright pods become pendant; green leaves; 12 to 18 inches tall; Mid Season; Uses: Oriental Cuisine; twice the flesh of other Thai varieties; C.annuum.

Never tried it. Looks to be the same thing as regular thai peppers only larger. Almost Jalapeno shaped

I've tried them and they're "spicy" but nowhere near the heat level of the prik kee nu varieties IME. They're used in dishes like pad prik gai (fried chili chicken). You have to remember, hot is a very subjective quality/attribute and members of this forum would not be impressed by the heat of the giant Thai pepper. That said, it does have a nice flavor and does have thicker flesh so it's suitable for various dishes, especially simple ones without a complex flavor.

AjarnV said:
You have to remember, hot is a very subjective quality/attribute and members of this forum would not be impressed by the heat of the giant Thai pepper. That said, it does have a nice flavor and does have thicker flesh so it's suitable for various dishes, especially simple ones without a complex flavor.

I love most thai peppers and I don't think a pepper needs to be super-hot to get attention on this forum especially if it has a good flavor.
My problem with thai peppers is that many asian pepper seems to be called thai these days:(

POTAWIE; "I love most thai peppers and I don't think a pepper needs to be super-hot to get attention on this forum especially if it has a good flavor".

That was precisely my point! The OP was specific about heat and not flavor. Most people have no idea of the diversity of peppers here in S.E. Asia. And I know of many that are valued for their flavor; their heat being secondary.
As to name calling; I have no idea, Thailand is a very high profile name brand at this time and is probably capitalizing on it's brand to the max.

AjarnV: thanks for your comments about the nice flavor, thats what I'm looking for is a pepper that tastes really good, and if it's a really hot pepper too , well thats also nice. I've been growing Prik Kee Noo and orange thai for a few years and really like them, and I've grown several other thai peppers as well which were ok, but not as tasty as the Prik Kee Noo and orange thai...and the hanoi red from vietnam is pretty good too... I just bought some yellow thai pepper seed on ebay from thailand, and I got some thai holy basil seed from them too, only took two weeks to get to me from thailand... meanwhile I've got six bonda ma jacques plants from last season that are covered with flowers now and they will be the first in the garden to produce peppers this season... got over 200 plants in the garden this season...

Nice! I don't bother growing Thai peppers because they're everywhere at any time. I'm only doing Habanero's at the moment (red and orange). Cheers.

apple pie said:
Recently I saw a chef on the travel channel using a giant thai pepper about the size of a jalapeno which he said was very very hot, so I googled it and cross country nurseries sells the plants and says its very hot, and then I found park seed has the giant thai hot seeds to sell but they say it's only 6000 SHU... I wonder are these the same pepper... has anyone here grown these and tasted them?

thanks...

apple pie

Yup, I've grown them. Giant Thai Hot from Park Seeds.

Nothing makes me want to grow these again since I've discovered many more that I like much better. I wouldn't classify them as "very hot" after having tasted Nagas and a scorpion. They are very prolific and LOADED with seeds too, but the flavor isn't bad; just too many more to try. :)

DSCN1129.jpg

They might grow larger pods than what I harvested if the plant isn't loaded with so many at once.

Did you check out the plant linked in my above post?

Silver_Surfer: ... yes did look at the link to the picture of your thai giant plant, and thanks for the picture, and... wow... it's really very prolific isn't it... I gotta grow some of these...

Back