• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

anyone in new England planting out yet?

I'm in central Vermont, on the Connecticut river valley, and the weather has been so nice lately that I've got all my kids outside hardening off. Is it too soon? What are the rest of you new englanders doing right now?

I'm in central Vermont, on the Connecticut river valley, and the weather has been so nice lately that I've got all my kids outside hardening off. Is it too soon? What are the rest of you new englanders doing right now?
Um... I transplanted on April 16th. Granted I had some "technical" assistance to get me through the colder conditions we had the three weeks after that, but all systems are go here. I have some Annuums a little south of you that are a foot tall and blossoming.

So you think it's safe to leave everything out from now on?
I don't know what your local conditions are like, but down here we seem to be running at least a week ahead of the predicted date of last frost (May 20th). I've spent enough time and money on this project that I don't want it to come to nothing, so I took out an "insurance policy" in the form of a hoophouse before planting outside in the ground. Check out Stickman's Gochu pepper glog. Overnight low temperatures here in Greenfield, MA have been in the 40s and 50s for the last two weeks but if you've lived in New England for any length of time you know it can change overnight. My advice is to plant outside but hedge your bets and have a setup ready to cover your babies if it becomes necessary.

I planted out over the weekend. Hopefully the temps don't dip.!
How close to the coast are you? You should be fine if you are, but I'll bet it's pretty windy if so.

I also planted a few outside over the weekend (serrano and thai hot). They are about 8" tall and seem to be happier in their new homes. Only one night this week is forecasted to drop below 50, and I think it is okay to plant outside when nights are above 50 consistently and days are in 70's. But, like stickman mentioned, there are ways to extend the growing season using "technical" assistance. This is my first time growing. I watered pretty well when I transplanted, now it looks like rain for the next few days. Hopefully they will be okay.

I always been under the belief of never planting out till after Mothers Day. Typically that is safe in New England. I have had my plants out for a little while now but the temps have been CrAzY this year. BTW I live in CT

This is my first time growing some of the awesome peppers this community have provided.

Currently in the springfield area

I planted around 30 plants yesterday both in a raised bed for the Soil and the little kiddie pool for a Gravel contrast. Ill have about 2-3 more pools by the time i am done.

The weather is so crazy here lately and ofcourse its rainy today

So hopefully it all works out.

Dan

I don't think it is too soon, I've been slowly planting over the last two weeks and I have almost everything in.

I'm growing in containers this year, so they can come in need be, but from the input you guys have given me I think I'm going to be ok. By the end of the week I'll have close to 30 plants out.

Where in Vermont are you?

This is my first time growing some of the awesome peppers this community have provided.

Currently in the springfield area

I planted around 30 plants yesterday both in a raised bed for the Soil and the little kiddie pool for a Gravel contrast. Ill have about 2-3 more pools by the time i am done.

The weather is so crazy here lately and ofcourse its rainy today

So hopefully it all works out.

Dan
Hi Dan, Are you out at Westover? What do you have planted?

This weekends weather was wonderful but I'm not entirely sure I'm sold yet. I've had them outside but all in pots... we'll see how this week goes. Happy gardening.

I'm in mid-coastal Maine - my "regular" peppers have been out since Sunday, after a week of hardening (flavorburst, yankee bell, padron, carmen, jalapeno, sheepnose pimento

most of the rest (pulla, chilaca/pasilla, guajilo, ghost, 7-pot orange, mulato isleno, black congo, chocolate hab, devil's tongue, i might be forgetting one or two ;) ) will be going into containers or in the ground as soon as i get a chance

i was a little concerned around the full moon, but it looks like nights in the 50's for the next 10 days.....should be safe by then, i would think

I'm in mid-coastal Maine - my "regular" peppers have been out since Sunday, after a week of hardening (flavorburst, yankee bell, padron, carmen, jalapeno, sheepnose pimento

most of the rest (pulla, chilaca/pasilla, guajilo, ghost, 7-pot orange, mulato isleno, black congo, chocolate hab, devil's tongue, i might be forgetting one or two ;) ) will be going into containers or in the ground as soon as i get a chance

i was a little concerned around the full moon, but it looks like nights in the 50's for the next 10 days.....should be safe by then, i would think
Hi Tim
Things have been running about two weeks early here, hopefully they are up your way as well. Living as close to the Gulf of Maine as you do I'm sure the ocean surface temperature is a huge influence on your weather. This website might be useful to your planting schedule. I use it to find when the Shad run is on and when the Stripers and Blues come in. Cheers!

http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/avhrr/gs_n/12may/index_thumb_short.html

Hi Tim
Things have been running about two weeks early here, hopefully they are up your way as well. Living as close to the Gulf of Maine as you do I'm sure the ocean surface temperature is a huge influence on your weather. This website might be useful to your planting schedule. I use it to find when the Shad run is on and when the Stripers and Blues come in. Cheers!

http://fermi.jhuapl....humb_short.html

thanks

we've been seeing shad a bit for a few weeks, and the carp are up in the shallows looking for love, so ;)

i am actually in zone 6A, so close to the coast (whitefield in lincoln county) - i think i am fishing tonight, but should have just about everything other than some pulla/guajillo/pasilla that i started late (i started a 2nd go round) ready to go in the ground......most of those are ony 3-4" and not-hardened yet, but they come in under 80 days, so that shouldn't be a problem

half the super hots will go in containers.....they should have enough time to get their 100 days in, but the ghosts especially make me nervous....i have read accounts of those going 120+ days, and even in zone 6a we can get early cold sometimes

gotta love that people's pint brew (originally from westfield)

thanks

we've been seeing shad a bit for a few weeks, and the carp are up in the shallows looking for love, so ;)

i am actually in zone 6A, so close to the coast (whitefield in lincoln county) - i think i am fishing tonight, but should have just about everything other than some pulla/guajillo/pasilla that i started late (i started a 2nd go round) ready to go in the ground......most of those are ony 3-4" and not-hardened yet, but they come in under 80 days, so that shouldn't be a problem

half the super hots will go in containers.....they should have enough time to get their 100 days in, but the ghosts especially make me nervous....i have read accounts of those going 120+ days, and even in zone 6a we can get early cold sometimes

gotta love that people's pint brew (originally from westfield)
There's lots of ways to extend the season without spending a lot of cash. Look around, you'll probably see all of them here.
We moved up to Greenfield from Holyoke... I used to do a lot of Trout fishing in the Westfield River and at Pequot Pond. Now it's the Deerfield River and Lake Mattawa or Upper Highland Lake. I go to the Contra dances at the Greenfield Grange on weekends and a lot of the folks go to the "Pint" to socialize afterwards. Cheers!

Back