• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone know what variety this is ?

Hello everyone , a few months ago i was told by the owner of the asian food shop down the road that he knows of a very small chilli that is hotter than anything he has ever eaten.
When i was in the shop today he said he got them in for me to try , they are so tiny and only about 1 cm long yet so dam hot i was shocked as to how hot they are.
they look like little red tic tacs and just 1 is almost to hot to eat .
It says on the pack that there birds eye chillis and are a product of Sri Lanka.

Does anyone know what variety of birds eye this is ?

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5516.jpg

email me at mosinjoe7@yahoo.com i can send some pics i grew it in 2009

thanks your friend Joe
Thanks mate , just sent you an email.i just googled piri piri and it said there about 1 inch long , these things are only about half that size.

Hey,

I think they are piri piri seeds as well. There are many different types of piri piri as they were brought around the world by the Portuguese who colonized Mozambique. Since the Portuguese were also the first Europeans in Sri Lanka... However, these ones may have crossed with a smaller chilli over the years. I have some extra piri piri seeds from Portugal which a friend obtained for me on vacation there. If you want some send me a PM.

Hey,

I think they are piri piri seeds as well. There are many different types of piri piri as they were brought around the world by the Portuguese who colonized Mozambique. Since the Portuguese were also the first Europeans in Sri Lanka... However, these ones may have crossed with a smaller chilli over the years. I have some extra piri piri seeds from Portugal which a friend obtained for me on vacation there. If you want some send me a PM.
Thanks mate , i have tried birds eye chillis before but these seen to be a way higher heat level .

No problem. Bird peppers can go up to and possibly past 100,000 which is freaking hot for 99% of the world. They could a tepin/pequin variety? Those can go to 300,000 which is ridiculous. After 500,000 you can't bloody taste anything anyway. :)

Check Fatalii.net for their birdseye pepper, maybe I'll post a link in a second. That is also a very real possibility never eaten them.

Could also be a pequin of some sort...The tic tac comment got me thinking that. We had a huge pequin bush in my backyard as a child. They were blistering hot. As for the Tic Tac thing...my dad always carried a pack of either white or green tic tacs with him and one time when I was around 7 I loaded an empty container with green pequins of the perfect size and shape and gave some to my friends as a joke. Well the fun stopped when I gave one to my 4yo little sister and she went screaming to mom. Dad came home and made me eat 10 straight that had ripened to red...WOW! I think that is the incident that made me a chili head!

Pequins are by some accounts among the hottest out there. They may not register as high on the scoville scale, but they have a BAM in your face type heat that is really intense.

http://fataliiseeds.net/all-seeds name is birdseye baby

Check Fatalii.net for their birdseye pepper, maybe I'll post a link in a second. That is also a very real possibility never eaten them.

Could also be a pequin of some sort...The tic tac comment got me thinking that. We had a huge pequin bush in my backyard as a child. They were blistering hot. As for the Tic Tac thing...my dad always carried a pack of either white or green tic tacs with him and one time when I was around 7 I loaded an empty container with green pequins of the perfect size and shape and gave some to my friends as a joke. Well the fun stopped when I gave one to my 4yo little sister and she went screaming to mom. Dad came home and made me eat 10 straight that had ripened to red...WOW! I think that is the incident that made me a chili head!

Pequins are by some accounts among the hottest out there. They may not register as high on the scoville scale, but they have a BAM in your face type heat that is really intense.

http://fataliiseeds.net/all-seeds name is birdseye baby
Now there is a thought .... Chilli hot and spicy tic tac's , wonder if they would be a big hit or not.
Yes mate these things felt like i had half a heat bead on my tongue and and was a stingy kindof burn .

No problem. Bird peppers can go up to and possibly past 100,000 which is freaking hot for 99% of the world. They could a tepin/pequin variety? Those can go to 300,000 which is ridiculous. After 500,000 you can't bloody taste anything anyway. :)

300000 SHU annuum? I've never heard of that. Considering five or six years ago 300000 was about the hottest known pepper, I just can't see a tepin or any annuum getting anywhere near that hot.

Now there is a thought .... Chilli hot and spicy tic tac's , wonder if they would be a big hit or not.
Yes mate these things felt like i had half a heat bead on my tongue and and was a stingy kindof burn .
That's how pequins hit right now REAL hot...but fade quickly. The only thing that has me doubting them is they're from Sri Lanka??? Pequins are highly cultivated in Mexico...but not very much elsewhere for commercial use.

300000 SHU annuum? I've never heard of that. Considering five or six years ago 300000 was about the hottest known pepper, I just can't see a tepin or any annuum getting anywhere near that hot.
I don't think they register near that high in SHU's but the burn is different. I think 70-100k is more accurate. They burn worse than way "hotter" peppers, just not as long.

Wasn't there someone that devised his own heat scale with the pequin at the top?

http://chilepequin.com/scoville-scale/ still searching for the other heat scale but this is interesting...

The Dremman scale...lol

I personally don't find tepins/pequins to be crazy hot, but I know some people that always find C. pubescens hotter than C. chinenses. It must have to do with different amounts of capsaisinoids in the different species

The label does say bird's eye chilli and its from far east imports and a product from Sri Lanka, and some of them would only be like 5 mm long and the biggest id say is about 12 mm long.

LOL you are probably right. Never was good at math. Failed Grade 10 three times. Sownseeds... don't listen to me! :)

The Dremman scale...lol

I personally don't find tepins/pequins to be crazy hot, but I know some people that always find C. pubescens hotter than C. chinenses. It must have to do with different amounts of capsaisinoids in the different species
Yeah! Dremman..That page was hilarious! I have news for him...I ate a Brainstrain the other day and Pequins aren't anywhere close to that! I've had some Pequins and Tepins that I could eat like M&M's and others that set me on freakin fire...none of the dried varieties you find in our local grocery compare with the fresh ripe wilds I would collect along fence lines in South Texas. Some were almost sweet and didn't seem much hotter than a Jalapeno. Others incredibly tart and bitter, and when you found the perfect bush a nice screaming heat for about a minute with no lingering gut bomb aftermath. Love them.

As for birdseye or not...I know that Pic1 (Greg) grows a birdseye pepper...I would hit him up on his thoughts. Did you get seeds or just the dried pods?

yeah, could be chiltepins or pequins. think the pakistanis are small too, not sure, growing for first time this year. good luck

Yeah! Dremman..That page was hilarious! I have news for him...I ate a Brainstrain the other day and Pequins aren't anywhere close to that! I've had some Pequins and Tepins that I could eat like M&M's and others that set me on freakin fire...none of the dried varieties you find in our local grocery compare with the fresh ripe wilds I would collect along fence lines in South Texas. Some were almost sweet and didn't seem much hotter than a Jalapeno. Others incredibly tart and bitter, and when you found the perfect bush a nice screaming heat for about a minute with no lingering gut bomb aftermath. Love them.

As for birdseye or not...I know that Pic1 (Greg) grows a birdseye pepper...I would hit him up on his thoughts. Did you get seeds or just the dried pods?
yes mate all i got was dried pods , but im hopeing they were just sun dried and that some of the seeds will germinate , i got some dried douglah pods from neil at thsc and they all germinated , same as the nagas he sent me they germinated also , so maybe ill have some luck with these .... cant wait till the start of our season here in oz, as i have what jungle rain (Grant) has been sending me a few strains plus what i have from neil from the last season . my biggest problem is i want to grow everything but just need the room to do it ..

You guys dont think that it maybe Prik Ki Nu? I havent seen one in person but they are small like that from the images not sure of heat either.

Back