• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Anyone like Vindaloo?

lynxpilot said:
Vindaloo is originally a Portuguese dish (explaining why it might not show up in many places in India).
It's actually a Goan dish. Goa, an Indian state, used to be a Portuguese colony. It's an Indian dish with Portuguese influences (the vinegar).

herne_the_hunter said:
I find the heat level to vary tremendously depending upon where you buy it. If you buy it in the UK it is usually pretty darn hot.

I know quite a few people in the UK, who including me, that do not find it that hot. Some Indian restaurants won't make them so hot that when the pubs empty they get people ordering Vindaloo thinking they can take the heat and finding out a mouthful of Vindaloo is one too many for them. If you find a good restaurant though they will up the heat in their dishes if you request them to.

rainbowberry said:
I know quite a few people in the UK, who including me, that do not find it that hot. Some Indian restaurants won't make them so hot that when the pubs empty they get people ordering Vindaloo thinking they can take the heat and finding out a mouthful of Vindaloo is one too many for them. If you find a good restaurant though they will up the heat in their dishes if you request them to.
Hmmm...
walnut said:
Can anyone tell me what peppers are in it,I heard bird's eye peppers. I was just wonder what kinnda heat level it has or can be compared 2.
The Birdseye peppers around here are 150,000SHU~, and that's pretty hot for a restaurant.

Don't think I had a 'Vindaloo' before, I'll look for a nice Indian restaurant and check it out.

in my aera id like to try true east indian food....I cant find nothing....Vindaloo has got me pumped up once again....Man there has to be something out there deserving the name

Canuk Pepperhead said:
in my aera id like to try true east indian food....I cant find nothing....Vindaloo has got me pumped up once again....Man there has to be something out there deserving the name

If you're ever in Toronto let me know - there are a few really good Indian restaurants here. One in the west end is attached to a British pub, that pours the best Smithwicks I've ever had, along with a good selection of other British pints ( Tennents, Tartan ), and if you order the double suicide beef Tahli ( sp ), you'll get a blistering large plate of beef curry, vegetable curry, rice, bread, and onion, for under $10.00...and if you go on the right day, a buxom hot blonde will serve you your food...:cool:

Hot Canuck said:
If you're ever in Toronto let me know - there are a few really good Indian restaurants here. One in the west end is attached to a British pub, that pours the best Smithwicks I've ever had, along with a good selection of other British pints ( Tennents, Tartan ), and if you order the double suicide beef Tahli ( sp ), you'll get a blistering large plate of beef curry, vegetable curry, rice, bread, and onion, for under $10.00...and if you go on the right day, a buxom hot blonde will serve you your food...:cool:

next time im there im calling ya lol I know of a wing off im intending to go to there lol next spring

Canuk Pepperhead said:
next time im there im calling ya lol I know of a wing off im intending to go to there lol next spring

well, come spring, the Leafs will be out of the playoffs ( maybe come February ), so I'll be able to talk to you...here's the deal...as you are close to the Quebec border, if you could grab a few packs of lady fingers or other fire crackers...in exchange, I'll treat to curry and pints at Maharani's/The Queen's Arms.

Of course, I'd be happy to partake in a beer run to any of the Jersey Giant, Bombay Palace, Hernandos Hideaway, or Rodneys Oyster House - great downtown spots for British pints, curry, Mexican food, and seafood...if you are definitely coming to the Deathmatch, I'll provide any local info you need.

Cheers.

Ken

Hot Canuck said:
well, come spring, the Leafs will be out of the playoffs ( maybe come February ), so I'll be able to talk to you...here's the deal...as you are close to the Quebec border, if you could grab a few packs of lady fingers or other fire crackers...in exchange, I'll treat to curry and pints at Maharani's/The Queen's Arms.

Of course, I'd be happy to partake in a beer run to any of the Jersey Giant, Bombay Palace, Hernandos Hideaway, or Rodneys Oyster House - great downtown spots for British pints, curry, Mexican food, and seafood...if you are definitely coming to the Deathmatch, I'll provide any local info you need.

Cheers.

Ken
Its a deal then..I just to work around the wifes timeline at her work(unless I do a solo run)..Dont want to do that the little one would love to se me in the death match.Its funny...I spent my first 16 years living in Milton and only went to T.O. a few times lol I think the last time was when the Jays won the world series for the second time
..As for fire crackers..I just have to go to any local corner store and pick some up...As things unfold ill let you know and hoppefully things work out.

You're from Milton, no way! I sort of lived there briefly. What a beautiful place and the great street market on the weekends.
I don't make it to Toronto much but now I'm being tempted by wings and curries.:drooling:

I've only been to Milton for a couple of hockey games. The town did seem nice though. I used to work in downtown T.O. - that's when I found all the above great restaurants and pubs. Up here in Newmarket the selection is quite sparse and bland by comparison. Thank god for home cookin' and hot sauces...

POTAWIE said:
You're from Milton, no way! I sort of lived there briefly. What a beautiful place and the great street market on the weekends.
I don't make it to Toronto much but now I'm being tempted by wings and curries.:drooling:
The last time I was there..(Milton)2 years ago they were still doing the market but that place has gotten so big man I think its just a suburb of toronto now..no more farmland surrounding the town now all houses..
I googled some recepies on vindaloo and I get a chance Im going to attempt to make some.

I use a standard vindaloo paste but add a few tinned toms a TBS of brown sugar & a good dash of the nastiest, roughest,cheapest malt vinegar I can find. Then load it up with finely chopped habs or birdseye or hot sauce.:hell:

Im making some right now as we speek..man what an awsome smell
had to leave it sorta mild though..sigh..little woman dont like hot

To add on just had some and man what a tasty dish.The wife doesnt like lamb so I used cut up serloin for this time

Back