• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone pick a red jalap yet?

HotPeppas

Banned
Just picked my first red serrano today. Stoked for that

Still waiting on my jalaps. Big plant with plenty off pods. Hope any day

Yessir! I pulled the greenies off early in the season, and the new peppers grew like crazy. They are going full size, to black and red in less than a week.

No, got my first couple of red serranos though. They produced peppers before all the other plants so I guess they had a headstart.

Also picked my first ripe golden cayenne. Much, MUCH different flavor when ripe. The ribs up at the top of the pepper are pretty much impossible to eat, as hot or hotter than the thai ornamental peppers I've got.

Jalapenos so far have been disappointing. No heat at all, like a green pepper. I've been eating the serranos just because they're actually hot. The Jalapenos are Mammoth Jalapenos though so they might take more time to mature. Got about 10-20 on the plants right now so I'll have to wait and see.

Yes. My overwintered jalapenos have actually had pods since about March.

But remember, each of us has different growing conditions, and there are several varieties of jalapenos. They sometimes take a couple weeks after reaching full size to ripen. Be patient - it will happen!

I've had 2 pickings of ripe red jalapenos off my 4 plants so far and now they're ready again!

Got chipotles??

yup, got about 10 red jalapenos the last couple days. It seems like when the temps go up to 95 or 100 around here, they go dark green to red in one day for me.

Back