• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Anyone smoked Steak?

Got some fat New York Steaks in the Freezer Want to try and slow smoke them, Anyone tried this? I've done Fair burgers before they turned out pretty damn good,  What temps would you recommend for smoking a few New York steaks?

Gargoyle91 said:
Got some fat New York Steaks in the Freezer Want to try and slow smoke them, Anyone tried this? I've done Fair burgers before they turned out pretty damn good,  What temps would you recommend for smoking a few New York steaks?

I have ..

2" bone-in rib eye's, twice ...

As low temp a fire as you can get placed for indirect heat, until the probe reads ~120-121F, pat close to dry w/ a paper towel or two real quick, and then over the fire for a quick reverse-sear ...

Yum.

I used a fist of oak w/ the briquets if memory serves ...

One of my better outings, honestly ...

Should be in my grilling thread from around mid-December - it was a celebratory steak for having slaved for months at work leading up to Christmas ...

I believe I left the probe in for the sear, and then carried it in w/ the probe still in it, and threw it in the 170-200F oven for 10-15 mins until it was 134F, which is my prefer for beef (Med that leans a little towards MR) ...

CHEERS!

Ole Delishus won't run much lower than 200 or so, and that's what I smoked 2' ribeyes with.  Took about 1.5 hours for the meat to hit 130, at which point I pulled and finished on a hot grill for ~ 1-2 minutes a side just to sear and mark em up.  I used oak and apple for smoke wood; 1 nice chunk of each.   

I have smoked steaks... Was very tasty

Once that my first times on smoke. This was a experiment and it was delicious

2014-05-01%252021.04.32.jpg

2014-05-01%252021.11.57.jpg

I liked outside dry too, there is formed a soft crust very salty and strong smoke flavor. I did so because it was seasoned with salt only. There was no spice. So the juices was contained inside.

One of these days I makes a smoked steak again

Yeah pecan too.

I'd sear first because if I smoked a steak and pulled it off at the perfect MR I wouldn't want it to hit direct flame as it would cook it more. I'd sear first then smoke to desired temp.

Plus it doesn't have to rest long at all as it was cooked low and slow. Honestly a couple minutes will do.

Back