Anyone use a Weber One-Touch Gold?

Recently saw a colleague with a One-Touch Gold 18.5 and this grill looked pretty neat to me.
http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=5&mid=21

Can anyone tell me if they are good, and if it is worth going for the 22.5 inch one?

Also trying to understand the price I have seen at the appliance store around the corner. The 18.5 inch sells for 199 euro ($293) while the 22.5 inch is priced at $200. Any difference between the 2 models besides size?

Thanks Pepperfreak. I think I'll go for it.
Do you have the 22.5 inch?
Sure a big price difference US vs Europe.
Just checked Ace Hardware, which never has been the cheapest, and 22.5 inch runs for $149, 18.5 inch for $129. I'd better bring one back after the Christmas holidays.

I don't have one now, I upgraded to the Weber Geniuses Propane Grill, but I think the one I had was the 22.5" I miss it sometimes, but for me the convenience of the gas is better. BTW, check out Lowe's if you have one around you, they might be a little cheaper. Now I do have the smallest charcoal Weber that there is, but it is almost too small for 2 people. Here is what I have http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=7&mid=30

About 10 years ago, I used to have a Weber gas grill too, and it was awesome. What I however missed was the real charcoal taste and the enjoyment of preparing the charcoal. You are probably right in having one of each. I have seen the Smokey Joe. So, they are more than only a smoker?

Oh yeah, they are a regular charcoal grill, just smaller. I love mine, it is just a smaller version of the one you were talking about.

Depends on what you want to cook. I'd go for the larger is you want more than one rack of ribs at a time. ;)

Yeah, always get the bigger one.
I've got a charcoal beast outside and an electric pet on my kitchen's counter. the small ones are only good for small grilling, which doesn't justify the price of the grill. I got this electric one for $20 and it's fine for getting those small meats up and ready:

89195359.jpg

38772559.jpg

69583302.jpg

If you cook ribs I would go with a rectangular grill. If you cook chicken, steaks, burgers, dogs.... round is fine. For ribs though, you can basically fit one slab down the middle (may even be too long), and possibly a cut up slab on the sides.

Have both the round kettle charcoal and Genesis silver propane.

The kettle is over 20 years old and still in great shape. I use it for ribs, smoking turkey breasts, really good steaks that I want to cook over charcoal. Get the biggest one you can. You lose grill real estate when using the indirect cooking method (charcoal on the side with a drip pan in the middle). If I could only have one grill, this would be it.

The propane is the one for grilling on the quick. I grill all year long. It sets on the back deck and can be wheeled up to the doorwall for use even when the snow is falling. I've been reasonably satisfied with its performance, no hot/cool spots that plague some grills. Would I buy it again; don't know. There are some pretty nice grills available these days. Some are ridiculously expensive; I don't think they necessarily perform any better. Again bigger is usually better, funny how grill top space gets used up when cooking for a crowd.

One feature that I find useless is the side burner. I do not use it and it just takes up space that could be used for sauces, marinades, etc. that always are at hand.

Just my two cents. Peace!

Hey PepperGuy, thanks for the great advice, and I had indeed decided for the 22.5 inch one. Found a great deal on a One Touch Gold, and just when I walked up to the BBQ departement, some gal took off with the last one. Talked to the sale's guy and got to hear that the One Touch Gold is not being produced anymore, but is being replaced in 2010 by an upgraded model. Some googling gave me: http://www.squidoo.com/WeberBBQs2010

Get that. I guess that for Weber the crisis is fully over. Adding some useless crap to a popular grill and doubling the price ...
Since I found out, have been searching the planet for a One Touch Gold, but no success.
I am pissed !!! Still trying to figure out if I should cuss that chick, or Weber.

Amazon.com, yes, no problem, but not available on amazon.fr and they don't ship internationally. Price is great, about 110 euro. Compare that with the european price of the 2010 upgrade, the One Touch Premium (only difference is wheels and insulation on the handles), 269 euro or $360 (best deal).
On eBay found one for "only" $300 ...

Back