• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Anyone use Burpee seed starting kits?

I see Walmart is carrying Burpee seed starting kits now, and I think I'm definitely going to give them a try, just wondering if anyone else has used them. I've used the Jiffy peat pellets the last 2 years, and have had good results but the Burpee kits have coconut fiber which I hear all kinds of good things about.

I haven't but JT is. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27196-jayts-grow-log-2012/

He got 100% germ using it.

i am using them and having pretty good results so far!! the hardest part is removing them without destroying the tray if you plan on reusing them, ive only transplanted 1 plant so far, but other than that i think they are awesome!

Is a seed heating mat going to be of any use with these kits? The tray has a 1 inch resevoir for water, followed by a thin foamlike mat that's suppossed to be saturated, and then the actual seedling tray.

I bought some of there seed starting mix. Looks pretty good. It's mostly coconut fiber and they
added some perlite. I'm not buying pro-mix anymore, too expensive. I also bought a pack of
their growing pellets, also made of coconut fiber.

I used the pellets last year. Nice and fluffy material. Just be careful; when it starts to dry, it will dry out FAST! When a few cells show need go ahead and bottom water it. I would water them hard then pour off the excess. It won't waterlog like say Hoffmans can when saturated. My $.02......

Back