• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone use/make biochar?

I've been making my own biochar this year and am just getting into initial testing with growing. Well, not quite yet. I am charging it with compost and then will do some indoor trials on a couple bulbs of new and exciting garlics I've acquired. 

I have constructed a two chamber burner, a rocket stove with the drum of would-be-char within, loaded with the right material (relatively packed sticks, up to ~2" diameter) it produces some beautiful stuff. I'm looking to get it down to a nice, fine powder, still thinking on that one. Not a tinkerer, but a machine to aid, like a tumbler or shaker, is what would be best. 

Anyway this thread it two years old!! Tell me you've got some explosive news about the char trials, please!

I'm glad you're interested, Scuba_Steve! Seems like there is a lot of potential and I'm excited to get rolling with my own trials. Not only better for your personal gardening, but a method for the citizens of the world to aid in carbon sequestering.

Back