• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Anyone Using mhpgardener's DIY Hydro Nutes?

I have access to some masterblend mhpgarderner uses to make his hydro nutes for tomatoes and was wonderring if anyone uses it as it is or if you have your own formula to grow peppers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYv9iu2NI3M

I've used his mix rates to grow lettuce. Works good for me. I have some peppers starting now that will go into the same once they germinate and I plan to have more once I can go outside again in the spring.

I've been following Bobby since around the time he started on youtube. He knows his stuff and I don't question what he is doing.

I sure am impressed with his work too. I mean he really knows his stuff. Then again, he grows tomatoes with his diy hydro nutes whereas I'm not really sure if peppers and maters have the same nutes requirement. I'm about to mix the nutes and just getting feedback on it. Good to hear you too have good success with the lettuce. I wish I saw his channel earlier on. He's got some really really good pointers.

I think peppers will do really well in the mix. It's not terribly high in nitrogen so you shouldn't see all growth and no flowers. But it is high in phosphorus and potassium which are both responsible for overall health, root growth, maturity, etc.
MasterBlend has all the minor nutrients as well plus adding calcium through calcium nitrate and magnesium through epsom salts, makes a fairly well rounded fertilizer.
If you can find a calcium nitrate that is greenhouse grade, that would be ideal. Morgan County seed sells it and can ship it as well when you order. They have become familiar with Bobby's following and the orders it brings. I got the masterblend from them and found the rest local.

I will say this, though the calcium nitrate used for the ground will dissolve in the water, the waxy coating thats used will make a mess in the resevoir. So get something that isn't coated.

I was given half a lb of the same one bobby uses and I think I'll experiment with this for now. Might cost a fortune to ask Morgan County Seed to ship here in the Philippines but I might be able to resell it and get my own persnal stash for free.

Will post updates soon. Thanks for the inputs mike!

I haven't seen this video before. Thanks for posting.

I have posted MPH's videos on here a couple times in discussions about the dutch buckets he uses. Pretty knowledgeable guy. And those fertilizers are sure cheap when you compare it to the liquid stuff at the hydro shop.

I assume that the calcium nitrate is separate for a reason. Not sure why, but I think I remember reading something about the calcium precipitating out of mixtures if not mixed correctly. Same reason hydro nutes are separate.

The Philippines? As in the place that makes a favorite food of mine, Lumpia? I have a recipe for lumpia that I keep in a safe. Love, love, love the stuff.

Good luck on the grow. Getting some fertilizer from the States might be too expensive. The smallest they have, I think, is 5 pounds. But depending on the size of your resevoir, may be more than enough. The formula breaks down to just a few grams of fertilizer per gallon using Bobby's formula.

I was about to ask some relatives to ship me a 5lb bag of masterblend but all of them are cautious about customs handling it as dangerous stuff (explosives?). Not sure if the masterblend powder is categorized as ammonium nitrate that they think it is so I wanted to confirm if anyone knew of this.

I have been wanting to reply for a few weeks now but I keep forgetting.

IMG_20140301_183652_665.jpg

I started out with 5 plants in hydro, lost two when I went to 5 gallon buckets and lost another when the ice storm took out power for 3 days. The house was 40 degrees for a while.

So I'm left with two Bhuts using Bobby's formula. The one pictured is chugging along great while the other is recovering nicely from almost being the 2nd victim to the cold.

I have a brown Naglah that sprouted in a oasis horticube. It is now in a net cup in that mix. I'm also doing it via the kratky method. Looking fwd to seeing if it will grow nicely before it goes into the square garden in late May.

I have been following MPHGardner as well, and am in progress setting up a dutch bucket hydro for our sun room.  I plan to have both tomatoes and peppers included in the same system.  WIll have to see how it works out.  I will most likely be posting a glog of some sort later on.

Back