• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Apartment Life

I am looking for some pepper variety suggestions. I am currently living in an apartment is Dallas, Tx. I am growing jalepenos, habeneros, and thai chilies. I am very disappointed with the varies that I have purchased(home depot) and would like to start from seeds and keep the plants year round. My limitations are size no larger than 2' tall and pot size 5 gal max. I might be able to swing a 7 gal. but no larger. I love my peppers that I get but would like more abundance. Do you have any suggestions. (Partial-full Sun)

if you're looking to limit the height to only 2 feet, I'd say a 5gallon seems like a fairly large pot to use. I have a bunch of stuff in 2gallon containers (indluding orange habs) and they're higher than 2 feet (even in 1 gallon that reach that).

You might be able to grow more plants and save space if you use 2 or 3gallon pots.

Can assume these are indoors, or outside on a patio?

Why the two foot limit?

You can keep pinching the top and have them branch out. Orange habs are always a good pepper to grow. Maybe a Trinidad Congo too as they don't get real tall or at least mine haven't.

A one gallon pot is more than big enough to allow a plant to reach 2 feet tall. I've grown Thais in half gallon pots that reached three feet and produced craploads of pods. If you put a plant in a huge pot it just takes longer to grow and fruit.

Novacastrian said:
I am failing to understand your logic, care to explain?
You need to start with pots that fit that plant and move to larger posts as the plant grows. If you put a small plant in a large pot, he is correct, in fact, you may stunt its growth and it may just stay small.

patrick said:
Why the two foot limit?

You can keep pinching the top and have them branch out. Orange habs are always a good pepper to grow. Maybe a Trinidad Congo too as they don't get real tall or at least mine haven't.

My trini congos are 5ft and some, approaching 6ft. :)

thehotpepper.com said:
You need to start with pots that fit that plant and move to larger posts as the plant grows. If you put a small plant in a large pot, he is correct, in fact, you may stunt its growth and it may just stay small.

I didn't know that! oops... lol

Damn you making me look up the explanation LOL:

Repotting into a larger pot tends to discourage new growth as the plant puts most of its energy into filling the pot with roots before pushing out new foliage.

Novacastrian said:
I didn't know that either, i mean that is not how nature works. The earth is a pretty big pot.. :confused:

Mimicking nature isn't the best way to maximize production;) Think about it - how many of all the seeds that fall to the ground in nature even grows up to a mature plant? And how many of those do you think produce as much as AJ's potted plants?

thehotpepper.com said:
Repotting into a larger pot tends to discourage new growth as the plant puts most of its energy into filling the pot with roots before pushing out new foliage.

I found this out the hard way the first time I tried chili growing years ago. I germinated a couple of Cayenne seeds and put them straight into big pots. Come the end of the season they were roughly one foot tall, sickly looking and only one of them produced any fruit, and they were small with little heat. The other one dropped every single flower!

Welcome neighbor...Fort Worth here...

How close do you live to the Fountain Place building?

thehotpepper.com said:
Damn you making me look up the explanation LOL:

I never knew that, something for me to keep an eye on.

I can attest to the fact that multiple transplantings improve size and production of the plants...

I am going to go to one, maybe two more transplants next year....

My plants were transplanted from seed starting tray to 3" containers straight to 5 gallon containers...I may add a 3 gallon between the 3" and 5 gallon and another after the 5 gallon to 7 and/or 10...I really would like my plants to produce more and get bigger....

If you want to maximize production in a small space, ie: an apartment, go hydro. I love my hydro system, although I wish I had set it up somewhere besides the middle of my living room lol.

Back