• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Apartment Life

Txclosetgrower said:
If you want to maximize production in a small space, ie: an apartment, go hydro. I love my hydro system, although I wish I had set it up somewhere besides the middle of my living room lol.

Shouldn't it be in your closet, based on your forum name?

I dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but if winterizing and cutting back the roots (and top) does this mean I should not put the hacked up plant into a 3gal but instead maybe a 5" container, then perhaps later next year move into the 3gal?

crazy8 said:
I dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but if winterizing and cutting back the roots (and top) does this mean I should not put the hacked up plant into a 3gal but instead maybe a 5" container, then perhaps later next year move into the 3gal?

I think you may have read my post the wrong way...that is the way I do when starting from seed....when I cut back the plant/roots, it will go into about an 8" container....maybe 1 gallon and when the roots start to show out of the bottom for maybe 2 weeks, I will then transplant it again to a bigger one...this will get me to plantout time and then about a month/6 weeks later, on to a larger container...

Well I bought 8-3gal containers already thinking I would be able to cut back and put them in there. Maybe Iw ill start them off in the 5" I have then move to a 1gal then a 3gal. So is that a cycle you would repeat every year that you would winterize instead of leaving it in the 3gal for good?

AJ - I say dallas because no one knows where grapevine is haha!
No terrorism plots here!

I would rather the plants be able to be bushy and not something resembling a corn stalk. I have to move them and will only be keeping a few plants each year. I am amazed at the pictures I see here. We seem to have left the subject of the pepper varieties. I am looking for some help in find some shorter varieties that I can grow in partial sun and bear the 105F summers.

Honestly, I have never overwintered but one plant and that was last year...turned out to be one hell of a producer...

this year I am going to try and overwinter about 50 using the method above.....sure will cut down on the number of seedlings I have to care for this coming spring...

FadeToBlack said:
How about when you plant a small plant right into the ground. Will it also get stunted like it would in an oversized pot?

I planted a 2" Thai Dragon seedling in the ground out front where it got lots of direct sun most of the day, and is watered with the lawn. The soil has a lot of clay, but I had worked in lots of good top soil, and organic fertizier.

Here it is 6 months later, and the plant is only about 5" tall, and is fully mature, but looks like a Bonzai, with almost a dozen buds, flowers, and tiny little peppers.

Wife wouldn't allow me to pull it because, technically, she dug the hole and planted it, so she wants to see it thru to the very end ;)

BigJosh said:
I dont think I really got an answer to what I should grow on an apartment balcony. Well uh... bump....

Depends on your goals. If you want lots of heat to last all year, plant a superhot. If you want flavour, plant want you like.

Back