pests Aphid Control

Most of you probably been there done that but I'm battling a major indoor aphid infestation on my seedlings this year and fighting a losing battle I might add.

Being young plants I've been applying just Dr Bronner's Sal Suds soap diluted to about 1 T per quart. It's helping a little but the bugs keep multiplying. I'm afraid to blast them with water but I read about another water only  approach and wanted to share with you guys.

It's simply dunking the plants upside down in water and gently swishing them around under water instead of spraying. Actually they are a little tougher than I described having 4-6 sets of leaves. But I still feel like I'm holding my kids by their ankles and dunking them into the pool  : O

Anyway. To prevent loss of growing medium, I cut a piece of plastic the same size and shape as the inside of the pot from a recycled container, cut a slit and an small circular opening in the center to get around the stem. Once in place. I hold the plastic in place, dunk the plant upside down and swish it around, in and out of the water. I found I was able to do this fairly aggressively to knock off the stubborn clingers.

I didn't get them all off, but hundreds are now drowned and my plants much cleaner. Now I'm going to use a stronger mix using 2T Sal suds and 2T of Neem Oli per gallon and spray 1-3x weekly.

Finally the daytime temp is going into the 50-60's so I'll be able to move them into my greenhouse (unheated  : (   which should help.

Next season I will not skip the step of seriously treatiing my winter overs with insecticide- root ball and all to kill off aphid eggs.

Diagram of Plastic dirt guard

I've been battling the bastards all winter as well only not on my seedlings (luckily) buy my ows. I've sprayed, stripped all the leaves off, sprayed again (both insecticidal soap and pyrethrin), stripped again and still they keep coming back. Tired of playing around and just picked up 150 ladybug commandos from the post office. Will be releasing them this evening after I spray them down with soda and water mix. After five days in the mail they should be nice and hungry. My ows are in the basement so at least I don't have to have ladybugs flying all over the house lol.

Ladybugs work

Prolly need more than 150 though depending on the size of your grow.. If its too much to handle spraying I'd say hey 1000+ at a time.. Last year I released over 7000 over 3 months. They won't get rid of aphids completely but will keep them under control!

I always see them during the inside grow phase. It's time consuming to treat, but never gets completely outta control or kills plants.

Here's things I've tried.

Marginal to no effect:
1. neem
2. pyrethrin
3. sulfur (stinks!)
4. rosemary/peppermint oil "eco" sprays

Medium effect:
1. hand rinsing/spraying plants with water
2. hand squishing aphids
3. soapy spray (dawn ultra, optional - add fresh chopped garlic)
3. Azamax

Best effect:
1. moving the plant outside after last frost (natural predation)
2. ladybugs (but only in a confined space like small room or greenhouse)
3. parasatoid wasps?

I have moved my plants into a greenhouse and introduced Parasatoid Wasps. I now see them flying around the plants, but cannot yet tell how well they are doing. Each wasp can supposedly inject/kill 200 aphids each but am unsure how long that process takes. I stopped treating in all other ways and will add ladybugs incrementally soon. The idea of a wasp embryo eating an aphid alive from the inside is very satisfying!

"Oh, nooo! I will soon die and birth a new wasp!"
i-69bddb016ce7084c47b4e76410a065ef-green_aphid.jpg

I just released my second batch of 1500 ladybugs. I have found that making sure they have had their share of water is important as the runoff from the plants watering/feeding is not the best for them and most will die off after the first two days. After 1 week now, out of 1500, I only can find about a dozen or two roaming around on my plants (indoors - in the garage so lots of space for them to hide and there may be more than I can see, plus an inclosed tent).

They usually come with a cotton ball attached to the container they are purchased in, just make sure it is wet.

***Give them time to drink first before releasing.***

@hottoddy - great post, thank you.

Roguejim,

After a half hour in, I was thinking the same thing but I was a chicken shit to give them a treated dunk this time around.

Yeah, to late for this year inside but if I get the ladybugs for next season we all better be sure my wifee doesn't read this post!

Hottoddy, thanks for posting your declassified  war plans! Sounds like you've been around the block a few seasons with these bad asses!

My lacewing larvaes did the trick, good thing about them compared to ladybugs is that they can't fly away:) They seem to be really effcient hunters as well. Awsome looking at them while they crawl around and search for aphids to suck dry!

Back