• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Aphid larva?

So I have been battling the aphids on my habs for about 2 months now. They will go into domancy for a few days and then come back strong...now I'm wondering are these aphid larva? Or another bug? Sorry for the poor photos...hard to get a really good macro shot with my camera.

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9699.JPG

I've used neem oil for the past two months and it seems there is enough on the leaves that is causing some leaf drop...but yet there are still aphids munching on them. I have some pepper seeds I got from the chili pepper institute, but I don't want to begin growing any of them until I can get these aphids under control! Any recommendations for aphids that seem to tolerate neem oil?

Blister said:
Expect to see another outbreak really soon. I believe that's larvae exoskeletons you're seeing there.

Damn! Zombie aphids...the worst kind! :lol: Guessing neem oil doesn't affect aphids in the larvae stage? Soap method is next? So sick of these damn aphids!

Edit: Definitely not ladybug larvae, the plants are kept indoors so there is no chance of ladybugs showing up. I bought the hab pepper plants from a local supermarket (around 1.5" tall at the time) and have been battling the aphids ever since...

You're going to find out the same thing I did; you never truly get rid of aphids, you only control them. Winged aphids can come from anywhere. They make it indoors, to plants outdoors, to plants in a greenhouse or wherever. You have to keep an eye on them because the reproduce really quickly and can wreak havoc on your plants in a short amount of time.

Although I'm not exactly sure how safers soap or neem oil works, I assume that it basically covers them and eventually suffocates the little buggers. I haven't got a clue as to how effective neem oil is, but the owners of our local nursery all but laughed at me when I said I tried safers. She stated that safers does not work and pointed me to a pesticide called Seven. I used it and got rid of the spidermite and aphid problem I had earlier this year, but both have come back.

The downside of a pesticide like Seven is that you have to keep your plants out of direct sunlight and you can't eat any of the fruit for at least 1 week. There are also other health issues associated with pesticides as well. Like I mentioned in my earlier post I'm just trying to control them because my growing season is rapidly coming to a close so I'm not really putting much effort into offing the little bastards.

Good luck.

Looks like dead dehydrated aphids to me. After the neem give the plants a good wash down.

TBH if your infestation is that bad I would say you might have to resort to......whiser it.....chemical!

Back