• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Aphid or spider mite infestation question

I have some little tiny crawling bugs on my leaves they are a pale yellow color, and slowly the leaves are starting to get shriveled on the new growth. Now here's my question. Is the best option soap and water? or should I use something else like neem oil, I want to get rid of these buggers but I dont want to harm any bees that come around my plants any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. here are some pic's of the damaged areas 
pclaa9N.jpg
TwOEhqW.jpg
Dhb3pzW.jpg

It seems I have the same thing on a few of my plants, some look better, some worse..
I suspect mites, but don't take my word for it.

get some azamax and some neem oil, i not sure if neem oil harms bees, but i know that spinosad does, and that's stuff it is great also.

Is there any bronzing/discolouring of the leaves as well or little webs? If yes I would say mite damage ... . And yes you can see mites with the naked eye ... just not as easily as aphids.
Treatment depends on what type of mite we are looking at

yes some of the leaves on the plants are a bronzy color. azamax is not available in my area. canada, what I did is mixed 2 tsp of dish soap, 1 tsp of vegetable oil, and half a tsp of garden sulpher, in a 38 ounce sprayer with water sprayed my plants, let it sit for 20 minutes then blasted them with the hose. to rinse it off, but the bugs are about the size of a tiny grain of pepper and are a yellowish brown color.

Beelzeboss said:
some neem oil,
If you know where to get the real stuff. Most is garbage I am told. ;)

Instead of resorting to such harsh chemicals why don't you try Pepper extract sprayed onto the plant? All natural and a proven pest killer.

Azamax is just branded neem ... so any good neem will do the same thing. However neem against broad mite is useless ... wettable sulphur is shown to be the most effective organic approach to them. Bare in mind sulphur is a harsh chemical both on your plants and all bugs and microbes ... use only when needed and try to buildup some beneficial insects to decrease future attacks

Proud Marine Dad said:

Instead of resorting to such harsh chemicals why don't you try Pepper extract sprayed onto the plant? All natural and a proven pest killer.

oh i thought neem oil was all natural

Azamax is an extract/concentration of the neem compound azadirachtin, probably buffered with a carrier oil and emulsifier, as it has few properties in common with straight neem other than a similar but weaker odour. There are a number of similar products, Azasol, Azaneem, etc. They claim it is highly non-toxic, but the skin absorption warning must be there for a reason. Good knockdown and systemic effect, I wouldn't use if harvesting within two weeks, but that's me. Rapidly biodegradeable, within the plant as well. With broad mites, I believe you can only gain control by very regular spraying, but it will get expensive.

Not exactly a harsh chemical, but neither is it benign.

bustapepper said:
yes some of the leaves on the plants are a bronzy color. azamax is not available in my area. canada, what I did is mixed 2 tsp of dish soap, 1 tsp of vegetable oil, and half a tsp of garden sulpher, in a 38 ounce sprayer with water sprayed my plants, let it sit for 20 minutes then blasted them with the hose. to rinse it off, but the bugs are about the size of a tiny grain of pepper and are a yellowish brown color.

Any hydro store carries it, and is easily orderable. Some large nurseries can ID pests for you if you bring a sample, just call ahead.

Proud Marine Dad said:

Any cold pressed neem will do, Ahimsa, Dyna-gro, etc. Azadirachtin levels are highest in Ahimsa, but there are over 300 compounds in neem, and the cold press processing is more important than any one compound. NewDirections carries neem as a carrier oil (can't sell it as a pesticide in Canada without red tape) at 1/3 the price of Ahimsa. Cheap pre-formulated mixtures you find in Wal-mart, etc., are probably making use of waste products from azadirachtin extraction.

If it is broad mites, and no I haven't had them, but leaf canoeing and damage centralized to new growth looks damning, then spraying pepper extract is about as useful as trying to bitch slap them.

Proud Marine Dad said:
No it is, I am saying it is harder to find real, good neem oil because it comes from India.
If it's not from India don't buy it as it's not good neem.

Nonsense, it is the cold processing, not the location.

Neem is not effective with broadmites comparatively speaking. Wettable sulphur is a proven broad mite control ... Neem is only recommended for two spotted mite ... an entirely different beast and much easier to control
I have used both to control broadmites and there is no way I would bother with neem.
Whitefly or aphids on the other hand ... neem is fantastic

Proud Marine Dad said:
Not according to Coot on another forum. Or maybe it was just good neem cake? I would have to ask him.

Hmmmmmz. I'll poke around as well.

Trippa said:
Neem is not effective with broadmites comparatively speaking. Wettable sulphur is a proven broad mite control ... Neem is only recommended for two spotted mite ... an entirely different beast and much easier to control
I have used both to control broadmites and there is no way I would bother with neem.
Whitefly or aphids on the other hand ... neem is fantastic

Again, you are confusing straight neem oil with Azamax/similar products.

Acaricidal efficacy of neem against Polyphagotarsonemus latus

I think it has more to do with organic miguelovic.

Here is Coot's answer:

"It's all about the orchards and how they're maintained. What we call 'organic crop production' has been a factor in Indian culture going back several thousand years. If their claims that it's only about cold-pressed oils vs. using solvents were true then this dynamic would apply to any agricultural crop, right? If that were true then Chinese neem oil, i.e. Dyna-Gro Neem Seed Oil, would be exactly the same as what The Ahimsa Foundation distributes because they're both cold-pressed. Chinese neem trees are grown with what we call in the country 'conventional methods' meaning chemical fertilizers & fungicides vs. straight-up organic methods used in the orchards where the organic neem products are grown and processed. Using their ill-informed logic you would have to believe that all alfalfa is the very same regardless of where it's grown and harvested. Or kelp meal, corn, wheat or any other agricultural endeavor."

Trippa said:
When did I ever mention using Azamax? Or any product? I use neem oil. Compared with wettable sulphur ... it doesn't work and isn't worth the expense in my experience. That study shows nothing in relation to what I was saying.

You stated Azamax was just branded neem, and hence useless against BM. Maybe I'm confused..?

Proud Marine Dad said:
I think it has more to do with organic miguelovic.

Here is Coot's answer:

"It's all about the orchards and how they're maintained. What we call 'organic crop production' has been a factor in Indian culture going back several thousand years. If their claims that it's only about cold-pressed oils vs. using solvents were true then this dynamic would apply to any agricultural crop, right? If that were true then Chinese neem oil, i.e. Dyna-Gro Neem Seed Oil, would be exactly the same as what The Ahimsa Foundation distributes because they're both cold-pressed. Chinese neem trees are grown with what we call in the country 'conventional methods' meaning chemical fertilizers & fungicides vs. straight-up organic methods used in the orchards where the organic neem products are grown and processed. Using their ill-informed logic you would have to believe that all alfalfa is the very same regardless of where it's grown and harvested. Or kelp meal, corn, wheat or any other agricultural endeavor."

I definitely bow to Coots extensive knowledge, and was not aware of the discrepancy between Indian and Chinese practices, or that Dyna-Gro was purely Chinese. Though I can't really wrap my head around the idea that Indians are organic purists and the Chinese never grow organically, I can see that Ahimsa would only source from organic Indian farms. I would choose Ahimsa over something I can source more locally, but I prefer not to be gouged, by the company and the shipping costs. Is the neem oil I and others buy garbage? It works, just as people get good result from Dyna-gro. Is neem oil from Ahimsa the best you can buy? I wouldn't argue against it.

Ahimsa - 36 dollars a litre, plus shipping. If I recall correctly, the shipping is ludicrous and doubled the cost.

NewDirections - 12 bucks a litre, shipping within Canada.

I was not saying that "all plants grown anywhere are the same, whether organic or conventional". That would be ridiculous and contrary to pretty much anything I believe in related to horticulture and beyond. It was my understanding that cold pressed oils are preferable to impeller or solvent extracts, but perhaps I need to read more, and maybe only relevant in the culinary world ie. using oils raw. I wouldn't use cold pressed olive oil to fry with though XD

miguelovic said:

You stated Azamax was just branded neem, and hence useless against BM. Maybe I'm confused..?
Sorry probably my rubbish grammer to blame .... so Yes and no. They were 2 separate sentences ... azamax is just branded neem and then went on to say any neem is next to useless against broad mite anyway compared with wettable sulphur

Back