• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphid?

there's so many different bugs around right now. and i am not sure if this is or not.

Looks slightly different yet similar to an aphid.

71mfRWx.jpg

Should i be out searching for ladybugs this afternoon?

most picks of aphids that i have seen their antennae point backwards.
pics of Japanese aphids also look quite different.

The insect in the pic will fly away when you tap the leaves

There are winged aphids...but all the ones I have seen have wings that fold vertical not flat like pictured. It's not a whitefly either...so maybe you just got some mutant Japanese Godzilla bugs???  

Ok, I did some further searching and found drawings (but no photos) of aphids with wings. Depends upon where they are in their lifecycle and whether they are male or female. The drawings do have the overall appearance of the bug in your photo. 

So yeah..... KILL IT!!!!! 

i'm hoping it's just atama mushi (midges) that are out in their millions right now.
I'll drop by the home centre tomorrow and pick up some insecticide just in case they start nibbling.

They only appeared after watering all the pots so they may be more interested in the water.

I have some mugwort tea that my mother in law gave me to repel bugs, i'll give that a go once the sun is down

stc3248 said:
33.jpg

from:http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/hemipt/OleanderAphid.htm

or...
wingaph.jpg

from:http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/misc/wingaph.html

Most aphids will produce some with wings...it's how they spread their population.

but see how their wings are vertical and not flat...yours is not an aphid, but I would still kill it!
thanks alot!

i need to get a net and bug box (bug catching is real popular here) and go get me some..

U3B414p.jpg

(i took that pic myself when i was cutting the grass first summer i was in Japan. that red thing it's on is the back of my gloved hand.)

My favourite animal ever :)

there's plenty of lacewings that have managed to make their way into my house. i told my wife NOT to kill lacewings if she sees one.

I don't think it's a lacewing though. this thing is smaller than a pinhead

Interested to see what this is. Being in Japan,I'm sure you have pests that we don't get here in the U.S. and vice versa.
It definitely is not an aphid,whitefly,or lacewing(different veins on the wings).

Aphids travel on the wind, so they do have wings. There are so many types of them it is ridiculous. My issues are with black winged aphids,they get into young buds,and tight spaces in the new growth,makes it a pain to squish them. The green and red aphids I have had stayed mostly under the leaves or a random flower,much easier to squish.

Nice shot of the mantis...my only issue with them is,they don't discriminate. They kill more good bugs than bad.

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice shot of the mantis...my only issue with them is,they don't discriminate. They kill more good bugs than bad.
My only issue with them is that they are the most awesome looking animal ;) they've long been my favourite creatures, it was only once i moved to Japan that i actually saw a wild one.

Hey George, I've just found several bugs/eggs on the underside of my plants as well. Saw what I thought might be an aphid and a cluster of eggs (scratched them off because I panicked) and also several 'white' eggs and what looked like a longer bug with wings that I've seen elsewhere on this forum. What would you recommend viz. Japanese pest spray?

hopefully it wasnt a lacewing or its eggs that you squished. they are the good guys.
Theres alot of lacewings around at the moment.

i dont thin that the buy in my first post has been of any danger. havent noticed them feeding on my peppers at all. if anything they have just used the big broad leafs as shelter from the sun.

i havent a clue. plenty of people telling you they arent good news though. get to the home centre and get some stuff!

georgej said:
i havent a clue. plenty of people telling you they arent good news though. get to the home centre and get some stuff!

Yeah, already crushed everything I could find. I sent an email to the farm I got the seedlings from asking for recommendations on pesticides, waiting for a response.

Back