• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids!!! Don't go away even after spraying

Are most of the comments about indoor or outdoor grows?  Indoors, I've had horrible aphid problems.  Outdoors, they seem to go for other things.  Even when I find them on peppers, one good rain or hosing off and they seem to move on.  Oddly, since I never read anyone say same, they seem to love young cucumber leaves.

Definitely get some ladybugs. I tried all winter to get rid of Aphids. Nothing was stopping them. I bought some ladybugs and they cleared them up for good in a week. Haven't seen them in over a month.

I released the ladybugs on my plants indoors. I had been growing my plants in my basement in a open grow box type deal till about two weeks ago. I was worried about them leavng the area but most of them stayed around my plants. I did release quite a lot of them though. Once the weather smartened up I put the plants outdoors on my deck. The ladybugs hung around for about another week and slowly left. I still find a few hanging around my deck. I was thinking of ordering more this summer once the aphid population kicks up in the lawn. Last August my legs would get covered with aphids just walking across the yard.

flexy123 said:
Well what I am using is pretty much the same thing as "Azamax", although this time a different brand. All those products are Azadirachtin (basically concentrated Neem, the main ingredient) in some concentration. Maybe THIS particular brand I am using is crap.

That's what I'll be looking into next.

I know! But I am spraying for at least two weeks, and sometimes 3-4 days apart. All I am seeing tho is them being "stunned". I sprayed today again, the pic was actually taking an hour after spraying and ill observe them closely, especially those plants with the "nests"....and then if I don't see any improvement I'll use Pyrethrin

EDIT: My understanding is that insecticidal soap SHOULD actually kill them on contact, at least the adults...
8bef15ded05387412a6b296af3cb406b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I have been spraying top and bottom of leaves seems safer to soak the whole plant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TXCG said:
Pyrethrins and azamax are both organic & OMRI listed. Organic doesn't mean non-toxic or pesticide free.

Perhaps I should have said pesticide-free as much as possible.

Anyway, the ladybugs did what the pesticides did not.

Ok as mentioned earlier, I sprayed again, still using my insecticidal soap and some neem. Looking better now. (I wiped off some plants by hand before, there was just too many piled up). I think you just need to be persistent. By the way this is semi outdoors, in a greenhouse on the balcony.

I'm another vote for azamax. I treated twice last year for spider mites. Didn't see a single aphid all summer. This year I was starting to see spider mites and aphids. Treated a week ago. No more aphids to be seen

Back