• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Appetite suppressant

Now that I am growing some of my own, in addition to getting fresh pods from friends, I always have a small stash on hand. I cut them up and have them with meals but mostly I just snack on them whole. Depending on what I'm doing around the house I probably eat an average of a pepper an hour. Different varieties and of course different heat levels.

I've noticed that I never get hungry when I do this. I only eat lunch because Mrs. Newtune fixes it for me. Same goes for dinner. If It wasn't being made for me I probably wouldn't stop to eat.

Has anyone else noticed this? :crazy:

I'm pretty sure capsaicin has been shown to act as an appetite suppressant, but I'm too lazy to look up studies right now. It doesn't have to be fresh peppers, though that is a very badass (and fortunate) way to get your dose :P

I've never really had much of an appetite compared to my friends and family as long as I can remember. Really the only reason I ever want to eat is that I crave something spicy. I speculate that this might be in part because I basically ONLY eat spicy food.

If you want to make a little experiment out of it, try the same thing next week but just eat equal amount of bell pepper or sweet peppers all day instead of hot peppers. If your appetite picks up you have a good working hypothesis :beer:

Well Al .I noticed you were looking kind of skinny the other day. I may have to cut you off for a while so you can build up some body weight :lol:

Well Al .I noticed you were looking kind of skinny the other day. I may have to cut you off for a while so you can build up some body weight :lol:

No Jamie.........I'm beggin' you man, don't cut me off. I can quit anytime I want to. You have to believe me. I'm just going through a rough patch. Just one more hit, brother. Pleeeeaaaaasssssseeeeee..................
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I find just the opposite for me. I like to have something nice to eat to compliment my pepper. Although, if I just decide to eat a pepper I get the same reaction. No appetite for the next few hours so I could see where you're coming from if you're eating one an hour. I wish I had that kind of reserve of peppers!

I've seen Cayenne pills and caps being sold on the internet as diet aids among other things.
I especially see them name Cayenne as the pepper used for some reason.
If it works don't fix it.

Cayenne will give the average person the needed heat and chemical release in the body to stave off hunger, not all of it is the felt heat. Capsaisin in the stomach felt or not depending on your level still cause the body to release certain chemicals that do many things including help the immune system and appetite suppression. For us here we need hotter.
I will pull up the links and post here when I get time.

If anyone has ever done the master cleanse you will know that cayenne definitely does the trick for staving off hunger. After a couple days that gross ass cayenne/lemon/syrup water fills you up like a turkey dinner.

If anyone has ever done the master cleanse you will know that cayenne definitely does the trick for staving off hunger. After a couple days that gross ass cayenne/lemon/syrup water fills you up like a turkey dinner.

What is a master cleanse and why would your master need cleansing?

http://themastercleanse.org/

same desired effect as using those de-tox kits they sell at every natural/heath food store now. I've done it a couple times, I can no longer stand the taste of dried cayenne.

Yep. I have noticed this myself; I'll pick a fresh Tabasco or Thai Hot right off the plant to snack on, and all of a sudden, if I was a bit hungry before, I won't be any more. It does seem to work, and I have actually snacked on them to hold myself over for a while longer while waiting to eat.

Back