• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Apricot tree from a seed?

Have any of you ever grown an apricot tree from the seed of one of the apricots?

I just ate one today from the store and thought, why not?

I am not sure though if it will bear fruit as some trees are finicky that way.

Thoughts?

you're almost guaranteed to get a spitter (named for the response from tasting a fruit). Unless you graft with fruiting wood from a tree with good genetics.

Apricots and peaches usually come fairly true from seed. So most likely you would get a tree that produces good fruit, but there's no way to know for sure without planting it and waiting 4+ years. If you decide to plant it you'll need to cold stratify the seed either in the refrigerator or outside over the winter. Let the pit dry for a few days then crack the pit open with a hammer or vice or something and take the seed out (it looks kind of like an almond). Stick the seed in moist peat moss and put it in the refrigerator for a couple months, or put it in a pot or the ground outside for the winter and hope that squirrels don't dig it up.

you're almost guaranteed to get a spitter (named for the response from tasting a fruit). Unless you graft with fruiting wood from a tree with good genetics.

You are probably right, but don't forget that new varieties all come from seedlings.
There is always the chance you might get the next best Apricot ever!
Just think of the Bramley apple.

You are probably right, but don't forget that new varieties all come from seedlings.
There is always the chance you might get the next best Apricot ever!
Just think of the Bramley apple.

and if you do get the spitter, you still have the rootstock onto which you can graft the good genetics!

Blenheims are my personal faves. I can't grow them here because we don't get enough chill--they need 700 hours below 40. You might have a better shot up where you're at.

Blenheims are my personal faves. I can't grow them here because we don't get enough chill--they need 700 hours below 40. You might have a better shot up where you're at.

I doubt it Jeff. It was mild here this past winter with temps rarely below 42-44 for that many hours. Now if we lived further north........ ;) :lol:

I had never heard of the Blenheim. so I looked it up, it was a seedling from a French variety called "Royal"
So I say go for it, grow your pip and hope for the best.
And as Aji Hombre said, it it turns out horrid then just graft a cutting onto the rootstock.
Or, as I have seen recently, graft several varieties onto different branches and enjoy a longer season and a choice of flavours.

Grafting? Are you kidding me? I am not working that hard for an apricot tree. :lol:

Threw the seed I had away and will make a trip to the nursery sometime to get a real one.
We have some of the best growers in the country here for fruit trees. I wished Monrovia was closer and had them.

I was at Home Depot last week and they had a Blenheim that was identified as having "low chill requirements" so I picked it up. I'm setting up a little run for my new chickens, so now it's going to have a little tree as part of the landscaping. I don't know what's up with the conflict between what the nursery guy told me (the 700 hours) and what the label on the little tree says. I guess we'll find out.

Back