• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Aquaponics

Here's are 110 gallon aqua setup grow bed is
4ft long
Around 15inch wide i for got...
13inches deep
8 gold fish are in there...
We are Hoping to get some talapia soon to grow out to full size..
Not sure how many we will get.. Also T-5 4bulb is above the bed..

16A6DC02-B60C-4F79-9BAD-EF316AA74D29-6612-000006B204D64352.jpg

7FF60586-2B8B-4F26-AB02-859BD9B96068-6612-000006B20E5899E9.jpg

9B6D3509-6B09-40CF-8B02-5C12B0628DB4-6612-000006B2113DA4E2.jpg

7FF60586-2B8B-4F26-AB02-859BD9B96068-6612-000006B20E5899E9.jpg

1296BBAF-C271-4387-B54A-FC0CE970BFCD-6612-000006B39B7A6DF6.jpg

Nice. Look good so far! This spring I will be starting my own aquaponics setup. Hope it works out well. it will feature two 55 gallon drums with tilapia and a 55 gallon drum split into grow beds and also a 70 gallon flood and drain hydroponic grow bed. Lets hope it works.

cool setup, can you use Koi or instead of Goldfish/Tilapia? If you aren't going to eat the fish, then it would seem that almost any freshwater fish would work, no?

I'd love to build a new koi pond, and the aquaponics part would be a huge bonus if it meant less pond maintenance.

Nice. Look good so far! This spring I will be starting my own aquaponics setup. Hope it works out well. it will feature two 55 gallon drums with tilapia and a 55 gallon drum split into grow beds and also a 70 gallon flood and drain hydroponic grow bed. Lets hope it works.

Cool man make sure u post up.... I was using flood and drain with the plants that u see in pic I transplanted them to the new grow bed
I'm using bell syphon instead of flood and drain... Take a look around on web see Wht u think about that...
Do I understand this right, are you using fish water for your aquaponics? Talk about doubling resources.

Yuup using the fish poop to feed plants.... Rocks act like a bio filter..
I am working on making a outdoor system and have it run off solar.
cool setup, can you use Koi or instead of Goldfish/Tilapia? If you aren't going to eat the fish, then it would seem that almost any freshwater fish would work, no?

I'd love to build a new koi pond, and the aquaponics part would be a huge bonus if it meant less pond maintenance.

Yeah u can using any fresh water fish... I want to eat my fish..

Do I understand this right, are you using fish water for your aquaponics? Talk about doubling resources.

Thats what aquaponics is :) Feed the fish the fish poo an excrete ammonia, which is then pumped up to the growbed and then the good bacteria in the growbed start the process of nitrification, ammonia turns into nitrite then nitrite turns into nitrate which in usual fish tank scenario you need to dump water but the thing about aquaponics is the plants use the nitrates as food, so the water continually recycles through the system.

I got enough room to build one more grow bed right next to it
Just need to get another light and pond liner and I have tons of rocks
I have extra wood laying around and I can make this pretty cheap
I will post pics as soon as I can...

yeh I've got the bug, too. I'm building growbeds out of plywood now and have a 275 g IBC tote to use as a fish tank. Everything will be outdoors, and I'm planning to stock with some bullheads I catch from a local lake. Let's see how that goes...

You have to be careful with wild caught fish as they may not take to eating pellet food. Also stock with something you can afford to feed. Bullheads probably eat anything and I hate catching them. I am building mine currently also but want to stock it with crayfish and some crappie. We will see how that goes.

Back