• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aquaponics?

I have, and still am in the consideration phase of jumping into hydroponics. I also have been deciding how best to part with a brand new 120 gal All-Glass aquarium. Things are getting a little more confusing now as I try to decide hydro, aqua or both. I am not even remotely qualified to decide at this point what would be best for me. All I really have going for me at this point is pepper plants and the 120.
Some insight and advice?

I haven't done anymore videos on it recently but I probably should

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47975-video-update-on-my-aquaponics-setup/

I've been doing it for a few years now, all I can say is that it's tricky with flowering plants/perennials, my biggest issue is kind of a dumb one, I'm using carp which are very oily and dirty, they produce a lot of nitrates...this is great news if you have large areas for massive grow beds but when you have a small area to use it's not so good.  Leafy greens do amazing though.  Without the space for an extensive network of grow beds I would have to suggest to anyone to use a low-waste tropical or subtropical fish instead of a temperate one.  Just keep in mind that the most common one people gravitate towards--tilapia--is tropical and will die if they aren't kept warm during the winter.

If you have a 120gal tank you could probably have a nice AP setup with a school of tetras or some other small type of tropical fish.  You can get a ton of tetras in a tank that size.

Mate if you have that massive tank, you are comfortable looking after fish and you want to do hydro - there is no other option for you but to go aquaponics. Please start a glog if you do, will follow.

Capcom I can't comment on the aquaponics. But I can tell you that for sure you should have no problems growing hyrdoponics. This is my first year at it and it has really been alot of fun. You don't need fancy expensive equipment. A few buckets some nutrients and an air stone will get it done. I have zero grow experience before this not even in soil. But I scanned through the sight got all the info I needed and gave it a whirl.

A senior member like yourself that already has growing knowledge should be able to knock it out with very little problems!

I have hydro plants going, also have a tropical aquarium. I would go with Aquaponics. Seems a waste to use that nice tank as a reservoir for hydro. Hydro is pretty easy too, Aqua will be more of a challenge (I like a challenge haha).

If you do go Aqua, fish type will probably depend on where you are going to set this up as previously mentioned tropical water tanks need to stay around a constant 24ish deg Celsius (water temp). Then other considerations such as sunlight; direct sunlight can equate to algae, water temp changes etc...

Helvete said:
I haven't done anymore videos on it recently but I probably should

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47975-video-update-on-my-aquaponics-setup/

I've been doing it for a few years now, all I can say is that it's tricky with flowering plants/perennials, my biggest issue is kind of a dumb one, I'm using carp which are very oily and dirty, they produce a lot of nitrates...this is great news if you have large areas for massive grow beds but when you have a small area to use it's not so good.  Leafy greens do amazing though.  Without the space for an extensive network of grow beds I would have to suggest to anyone to use a low-waste tropical or subtropical fish instead of a temperate one.  Just keep in mind that the most common one people gravitate towards--tilapia--is tropical and will die if they aren't kept warm during the winter.

If you have a 120gal tank you could probably have a nice AP setup with a school of tetras or some other small type of tropical fish.  You can get a ton of tetras in a tank that size.
Yeah I know what you are talking about. I had a half doz red belly piranha in a 29 gal tank. Feeding them goldfish put a lot of natural oils back onto the water surface. And the grow area is of some concern. I have roughly 120 sq ft but whatever I dedicate to AP or HP will take away from my soil grow. I do know that over the summer I will have to go to a smaller HPS or MH light. with the central air my wife is not going to tolerate the 1000w running 12 hours a day. If I went AP I would definitely go with a fish that was interesting. One of my favorite is the exodon paradoxus. It is a grouping charicin that is fast moving and always active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEiXbOhKlQQ

SentencedToBurn said:
Mate if you have that massive tank, you are comfortable looking after fish and you want to do hydro - there is no other option for you but to go aquaponics. Please start a glog if you do, will follow.
Will do if I do. going to look into a few thing such as temp control, every one around here that is doing hydro on a big scale has had to get a chiller to keep water temps down.

Yellowfin2na said:
Capcom I can't comment on the aquaponics. But I can tell you that for sure you should have no problems growing hyrdoponics. This is my first year at it and it has really been alot of fun. You don't need fancy expensive equipment. A few buckets some nutrients and an air stone will get it done. I have zero grow experience before this not even in soil. But I scanned through the sight got all the info I needed and gave it a whirl.

A senior member like yourself that already has growing knowledge should be able to knock it out with very little problems!
If I go hydro, it will be a system inter connected with pvc pipe. I want to be able to control all nuts. ferts and ph from one location and only deal with them once.

CAPCOM said:
I do know that over the summer I will have to go to a smaller HPS or MH light. with the central air my wife is not going to tolerate the 1000w running 12 hours a day.
Would an air-cooled tempered-glass enclosure, surrounding the light bulb and venting the heat outside the building be practicable for your situation? It keeps a grow tent/room cooler, and could do the same for your house.

I have been running an AP system for a couple years.  It is a 100 gal Ft to 100 gal GB's.  Greens are great, as mentioned, but other fruiting/vinning veggies suffer in small systems and can take a while to get going.   Peppers are one one the hardest to grow.  I have grown a few but they only give me a couple off each plant.  Tomatoes do ok but don't compare to the flavor from my dirt.  Stick with small varieties or cherries.  I have ph issues most of the time due to my well water and treat top up water with HCL.  There is still a P/K/micro defeceincy most of the time.  A good quality  fish food will produce some of the nutes but many add seaweed extracts (w/iron) or foliare spray for supplements.   Here is a vid of the GH/GB section. 

http://youtu.be/iJmhYOzS3fs

Back