• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are 7 Pots any good when they're green?

My poor 7 pots didn't quite make it in time - it's chilly now and the plants are losing their leaves. They only just started producing peppers a couple weeks ago so everything is still green! I'd hate to lose two entire plants of peppers just because they're green (I was hoping to make a batch of super hot 7 pot jelly with them). I know habs are better when they're ripe, so I was wondering about the 7 pots. Will they be any good for jelly-making, or should I accept defeat and try again next year?

If they are okay for jelly-making, how many would you recommend using? My recipe makes anywhere from 8-10 jars of jelly and uses 4 cups of crushed strawberry. Would 1 whole 7 pot (without seeds) be good, would 3 be crazy? I for reference, I use 6 jalapeños in my usual recipe.

While their flavor and heat are at peak when fully ripe, they will most time still have respectable heat while green so long as they are a somewhat mature green pod. Flavor is generally more absent in the state.

Back