• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Are any plants labeled Habaneros Really Habaneros?

So i went to pikes nursery a few weeks ago and picked up a plant labeled "Organiks Habanero" When i got back from vacation yesterday it had three pods on it and they dont look anything like a habanero. They also have very thin walls. I can tell just by squeezing them a little bit. Tell me what you think it is?

Pod 1
2012-08-01185920.jpg

pod 2
2012-08-02124750.jpg

pod3
2012-08-02124819.jpg

Plan (View from the top)
2012-08-02124728.jpg

Tell me what you think it is please.

Thanks,
TabascoKilla

Yeah thats what i thought. I went back to pikes and checked out the plants and the same plant i had, had the same pod as myn and it was a bright red color. So idk what it could be?

Someone please help!
Lucas

well asumeing that all the pods off that plat i got today look totaly different some like 7 pods some like scorps some like brain strain and not a single one looks like a hab we can say one thing for sure its a freak

I bought 2 choc hab seedlings and 2 "ghost pepper" seedlings from my local flea market. 1 "ghost pepper" died. The other gives small red pointy fruit with NO heat. Taste like a bellpepper. As for the habs, they are 2 of 7 plants in a topsy turvy. 1 gave 3 peppers and has another 6 green. I can vouch it was brown, hab shaped, and HOT. My buddy who's insides I like to destroy with mine said it's the hottest thing pepperwise(not hot sauce) he's had in his life. The other plant gives no fruit(which I think is weird) despite sharing the container with other plants that fruit(including the other choc hab).

TL;DR: The choc habs were choc hab.

i bought a hab from bunnings(big mistake) but due to cross polliknation ended upn going in the bin it may be a hab thats has poot poot wiggy wiggy with another plant , get seed from a good supplier or a nut on here as at least u know what u get ,if it is a fatalli then :)

Its a red hab of some type. The plant is c.chinense. Habs grow in all shapes and sizes. If those were the 1st to get picked of the plant, chances are you'll end up with some variants by the end of the season. Peperoncini have blunt ends . How does it taste?

Greg

Definitely not a hab. People like to call all C. chinenses habaneros, its just easier although incorrect. Real habaneros are orange, they have a very specific pod shape and flavor, and should originate in the Yucatan peninsula area of Mexico. Other habs are hab-nots, crosses, mutations, and/or mislabbeled but not really habs

I'm not even sure it's a chinense, let alone a habañero.
Definitely not a hab. People like to call all C. chinenses habaneros, its just easier although incorrect. Real habaneros are orange, they have a very specific pod shape and flavor, and should originate in the Yucatan peninsula area of Mexico. Other habs are hab-nots, crosses, mutations, and/or mislabbeled but not really habs
Its a red hab of some type. The plant is c.chinense. Habs grow in all shapes and sizes. If those were the 1st to get picked of the plant, chances are you'll end up with some variants by the end of the season. Peperoncini have blunt ends . How does it taste?

Greg
i bought a hab from bunnings(big mistake) but due to cross polliknation ended upn going in the bin it may be a hab thats has poot poot wiggy wiggy with another plant , get seed from a good supplier or a nut on here as at least u know what u get ,if it is a fatalli then :)
I bought 2 choc hab seedlings and 2 "ghost pepper" seedlings from my local flea market. 1 "ghost pepper" died. The other gives small red pointy fruit with NO heat. Taste like a bellpepper. As for the habs, they are 2 of 7 plants in a topsy turvy. 1 gave 3 peppers and has another 6 green. I can vouch it was brown, hab shaped, and HOT. My buddy who's insides I like to destroy with mine said it's the hottest thing pepperwise(not hot sauce) he's had in his life. The other plant gives no fruit(which I think is weird) despite sharing the container with other plants that fruit(including the other choc hab).

TL;DR: The choc habs were choc hab.

Thanks for all the input guys! Im gunna do a pod test of the ripe pepper tomorrow and ill let you know the level of heat and taste.
Until then please keep giving me your input and ill keep you up to date on its progress.

Lucas

Back