• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are Bulgarian Carrot pepper's HOT or NOT?

I am growing Bulgarian Carrot heirloom peppers this year.  Originally I decided to grow them for fun and aesthetics, but after some research I have come across 2 different sources that claimed these peppers are actually very hot, 100k+.  At first I expected more like jalepeno or much milder but was interested to see them rated much higher by a couple reviewers.  Is this a product of well grown and well stressed peppers versus overwatered under stressed peppers or what?  What should I expect and how can I make them as hot as possible?

Thanks

Hi. I grew some of those last year and all i can say is they were hotter than any jalapeno i have ever tried. The heat level was not quite as hot as the orange habaneros that i purchased at the store but also not a whole lot milder.

I grew them a few years ago and they were pretty hot.  Not habanero hot but hotter than most Jalapenos I've ever eaten or grown.  No way I would consider them mild.  They're not habaneros but they're not bell peppers either :P .  The bush produced like crazy and they were crunchy and hot.  The skin on mine seemed really tough and kind of ruined eating them raw for me so I roasted and peeled them.  Tasty peppers overall imo.  Supposedly they're very good pickled.

i would put them between jalapeno and serrano for heat level.

i believe what makes them appear hotter is the bad ass placenta. so much like bishop crown or rocoto with the large placenta you only have to start munching and that heat just builds, of course you would be wise to remove the seeds - after harvesting a bulgarian carrot for seeds, you will never have to source them again....a pod houses plenty. perhaps rocoto is a good comparison for heat level.

as your plant matures, take notice of the flowers, in my recollection, i can't think of a pepper with a larger flower. kung pao has a nice large flower but is umbrella in shape but b/c is just massive like a starfish shape but i have never grown the likes of anaheim, ancho or new mex types, perhaps they rival in size.

on eating the b/c, the first thing you will notice is the crunch, they are crunchy. next will be the flavour, it is tasty. though some members have mentioned they didn't like the flavour, i found them quite tasty. then the heat hits, low key at first, then keeps on building.

here is a pic of my b/c, kind of nice how it turned out with the little helper. the plant gets potted up mon/tues as i move the tomatoes into the ground and free up greenhouse room.
hope you enjoy your bulgarian carrots.

I love bulgarian carrots.  I eat them raw, and pickle them.  To me, they are only slightly hotter than a jalapeno.  If I had to guess on the heat level, it would put it between 10,000 and 25,000shu.

Back