• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are C. Annums really Perennial?

I have read that C. Annums will indeed last several years if looked after properly. I have also read they are stricly annual plants from other sources.

Is there perhaps certain breeds that are only annual?

On the same note, how long will a chilli plant last if looked after?

Indeed they are, but as Dulac said, most people grow them annually because it is a PITA to have to store them over the winter 

ErolDude said:
Indeed they are, but as Dulac said, most people grow them annually because it is a PITA to have to store them over the winter 

Agreed. Also, some of my survivors come back real slow and don't end up producing any better than the fresh starts. However, every year I still have a few stellar overwinters that go gangbusters - that keeps me doing it.

Yes - perennials when their roots don't get below 50F/10C on a sustained basis, annuals otherwise. I have overwintered chile plants here for the last several years. I have taken both the approach of a very severe pruning (down to a stump with about 5 growth nodes), a fair pruning (keeping major branches and stems, and hardly pruning at all (just the smallest come off.) Each approach has its pros and cons. I didn't like taking them down to a stump because you're not that much ahead of the game in the spring - the plant still has to generate lots of new growth before it's going to start producing. A fair pruning helps the plants go dormant, which reduces the upkeep that you need to provide over the winter. Frankly, I like that approach the best. The hardly any pruning at all was fine, but they never really went dormant so I had more upkeep than I wanted. 

Some people bring them inside and provide lots of artificial light to keep them growing much as houseplants through the winter. You have to decide for yourself how much effort you want to put in.

They sure are. Here's a goats weed last summer that was on its second season.

Here's the same plant that I just put outside the last couple days. It's been pruned every winter and stuck under lights in the basement. Reason for pruning besides keeping the yeilds steady is to try and eliminate any pests that will contaminate anything else.

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Bunnykiller187/media/IMG_20150330_121224568_zpslt4clc7u.jpg.html
IMG_20150330_121224568_zpslt4clc7u.jpg
[/URL]

I successfully overwintered a jalapeno, poblano, Caribbean Red, Brain Strain Yellow, tabasco, and another I'm not sure of.

So that's C. annuum and C. chinense and C. frutescens I believe?

I just left all my pepper plants outside the entire winter and did zero care and maintenance. Those were the ones that survived. Looking forward to seeing those thrive this grow season.

Sure they are . I had  a Bolivian rainbow 5 years. Now I have a  3 year Trinidad Scorp ButchT and many of last year.

Back