• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are CFLs dangerous because of the plastic parts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bubJX-m_HSs

I see a few videos like this, that really bothers me. My T5s definitely discolor around the base that is plastic. I'm sure its crappy chinese junk.

I've had a couple melt a little of the plastic near the base, but what irritates me more, is that I've yet to have a bulb last more than a year or so in my house...

Quality lamps from big brands are very safe imho
Also my small box is enclosed in a material that needs very high temps to burn.
If you stay on the safer side (no CFL inside a cardboard growbox please...) the chances to catch a fire are minimal.

Cya

Datil

Why is it silly?

Though I'm sure that a year is about the life, there is no specified replacement schedule for any of these bulbs that I can find. I'm using a PLL55w based two unit fixture and the base of a 55w t5/cfl hybrid bulb tends to get a dark burned color after a few months of use. I replaced the bulbs once and found that the glass had separated from the base, which had become very brittle. Considering the compact footprint of most CFLs, those 200w units can get very hot and with a carbon plastic base, I can see it becoming very dangerous. I haven't seen rampant reports of them catching fire, but wanted to check with others to see if anyone has experienced these issues. Incandescent and HIDs have a metal base and the mogul sockets for HPS/MH are ceramic.

I think most of these grow cfls are getting their performance by overdriving the bulb, thus reducing the life and making them less safe. I'm looking to compare a quality manufacturer like Phillips, but I can't find anyone who's used that style to compare the lifespans. I also can't find a decent variety of spectrums for that type of fixture.

Its not the sky that would concern me. Its the burning plastic falling like napalm onto my dining room floor and setting my house ablaze.

MHz

Back