• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Are my Bhut's full grown when they are red or do they still grow after turning red?

Hi guys, I've got some Bhuts growing and I find them pretty tiny - maybe 1.5" long. Most still have a little stem part sticking out of the fruit, but I have one that has ripened and I'm wondering if thats the full size or do they grow after they turn red.

Also are they supposed to grow until the little stem sticking out of the front of the fruit is no longer visible? That would mean that there is another 1/4" of length left to go on most of my peppers.

...plus doesnt this plant look more like a Dorset Naga than a Bhut? I bought it as a bhut seedling. Its currently in a 5 gallon container.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Looks ready to me. I'd pick it and try it. If it has flavor and takes your head off you'll know it was ready. ;)

Once it starts ripening it is finished growing. Chomp into it and give a description of it's flavor, then we can better discern the variety.

Silver_Surfer said:
Once it starts ripening it is finished growing. Chomp into it and give a description of it's flavor, then we can better discern the variety.

I am going to be taking a bite of it today ;) I took it to work so we're dicing it into quarters so me and 3 others will each have a piece. I have no idea what to expect. Hottest I've had so far is a full orange hab and I was sorry I did that. LOL.

Oh my god that was fu*king insane. Sorry for the language. I cut a 2mm thick ring close to the stem, it was packed with white and I had it and honestly, its nearly if not as hot as an entire orange hab.

captainpepper said:
Didn't know orange habs were considered hot around these parts:lol:;)

LOL call me a wuss but I always thought orange habs had tons of heat but wow this is not even on the same scale. Its way WAAAAAY hotter.

captainpepper said:
Didn't know orange habs were considered hot around these parts:lol:;)

Depends on the strain. Some strains were among the hottest around not so long ago, others are wimpy and bred for lower heat

svtcontour said:
Oh my god that was fu*king insane. Sorry for the language. I cut a 2mm thick ring close to the stem, it was packed with white and I had it and honestly, its nearly if not as hot as an entire orange hab.

Can you describe the flavor so we can identify the variety?

:lol:

Silver_Surfer said:
Yeah, how did it taste? Really you should eat the whole pod to get the full range of flavor it has to offer.

No f'n way I'd eat the whole thing or even half. LOL. Never. I will say, that the taste was quite habanero like. Sort of like an orange hab but a little less fragrant and a bit more pepperish (like the smell of a sweet bell pepper thrown in). The heat was out of this world.

Silver_Surfer said:
Make sure you get a top quarter since that is known as the prime cut when it comes to pod flavor.

I call that end the hot end. When I want to actually taste the pepper, I bite the tip - the flavor end. That way I don't get blinded by the crazy heat and can have a few bites before the blinding heat kicks in.

Back