• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are my eyes fooling me!! Ch reaper?

I bought seeds over seas from a guy, I was just taking a chance. If they were super of not I could make hot sauce. Or could it be a cross because I have three hp22b's next to it. But the b strain was not flowing yet to make this pepper. It's the green one on the left in the photo. Any ideas pepper pros?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 64
This is the only pod like this so far. The other pods look nasty hot. It would be still unstable as this one.

I dont think chocolate reapers are unicorns at all.  Nor do I think they are random mutations.  I am no expert on dna, but it seems to me that if a self pollinating plant has a recessive gene for brown, then brown is going to pop up when pollen from one plant reaches another plant but not when they self pollinate.  If that is the what happened, they should be stable from the start because they are not really a hybrid.

Two people with brown eyes can have a blue eyed baby.
Two people with blue eyes can not have a brown eyed baby.

I had a single chocolate reaper the first year I grew them.  If I remember right, they came from Pepper Joe seeds.  Saved the seeds and grew again.  Chocolate again.    Seems like enough people have run into them that it is likely you got one of the happenstances. 

ajdrew said:
I dont think chocolate reapers are unicorns at all.  Nor do I think they are random mutations.  I am no expert on dna, but it seems to me that if a self pollinating plant has a recessive gene for brown, then brown is going to pop up when pollen from one plant reaches another plant but not when they self pollinate.  If that is the what happened, they should be stable from the start because they are not really a hybrid.

Two people with brown eyes can have a blue eyed baby.
Two people with blue eyes can not have a brown eyed baby.

I had a single chocolate reaper the first year I grew them.  If I remember right, they came from Pepper Joe seeds.  Saved the seeds and grew again.  Chocolate again.    Seems like enough people have run into them that it is likely you got one of the happenstances. 
Hey what do you think CARDI would say once they get news of a CH.REAPER?

I don't think the rough skin of a reaper goes well with the chocolate color personally, if you threw it in a pool you could reproduce a famous scene from caddy shack.

But jokes aside, cool pepper and good find :)

They have a good pod shape on the fully featured pods... I still believe the 7 Pot brown was one of the reapers ingredients from a 3 or 4 way cross..... Very nice find, enjoy !!

Back