• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are my plants growing too slow??

Second year grower here and had great germination but my plants just seem to be very slow growing to me, here's a pic of a Trinidad scotch Bonnet yellow and an Infinity, I'm just not sure where they need to be right now but think they should be much larger than this, do any of you have seeds that were started around February 9 that I could compare to and what are your thoughts? I'm growing in Jiffy Organic seed starter mix, thanks in advance.

IMG_20130327_213406_zps819b4b25.jpg

IMG_20130327_213436_zps580f00b8.jpg

they look about right, have you started to hit them up with some high phosphorous fertilizer to ensure root growth?

if you haven't, i would mix up some 10-52-10 or similar, remove the plants from the bottom tray, pour the liquid into the bottom tray and add the plants back, to give them a bottom feed. i just hit my plants up 3 days ago and within a day or so, some plants had a 10-20% growth increase.

good growing.

They are looking leggy. Put the light closer to them and give them a little more top soil. You can consider putting them in red solo cups in a week or so. When you do so, you can feed them 1/4 strength fert

One more thing. How much light are you giving them?

They are looking leggy. Put the light closer to them and give them a little more top soil. You can consider putting them in red solo cups in a week or so. When you do so, you can feed them 1/4 strength fert

One more thing. How much light are you giving them?

megahot they do still look leggy to me too and the light is probably 2-3 inches away from the leaves and it runs 24/7.

megahot they do still look leggy to me too and the light is probably 2-3 inches away from the leaves and it runs 24/7.

Hmmm thats odd? You are doing everything correctly. I would add some more top soil. Then tarnsplant them into the red solo cups in 4-5 days. Are you running a fan on them?

Hmmm thats odd? You are doing everything correctly. I would add some more top soil. Then tarnsplant them into the red solo cups in 4-5 days. Are you running a fan on them?
using a fan at very short intervals acouple days a week, I found out the hard way that it dries the soil very quickly and I lost a few to that a couple weeks back.

I started mine February 4th, so 5 days before you. This picture was 5 days ago. The Suave in the upper left is my smallest plant from the 45 Chinense I potted up. There was a "Not" Chocolate Scorpion and a Naga Morich that were smaller that didn't grow at all for a month so I culled them. I started them using ProMix BX and I give them a dose of dilluted fish water ever week when they need water.

IMG_20130323_242518_151_zpsd8345ad3.jpg

Editing to add that I would pot your peppers up. They very well could need more space as there isn't a lot of room for roots in those starter cells.

I started mine February 4th, so 5 days before you. This picture was 5 days ago. The Suave in the upper left is my smallest plant from the 45 Chinense I potted up. There was a "Not" Chocolate Scorpion and a Naga Morich that were smaller that didn't grow at all for a month so I culled them. I started them using ProMix BX and I give them a dose of dilluted fish water ever week when they need water.

Editing to add that I would pot your peppers up. They very well could need more space as there isn't a lot of room for roots in those starter cells.
Wow thats a huge difference for just a week older plants, those look great, I suspected something was wrong with mine, I'm gonna pot them up ASAP.

Mine looked very similar. I ended up just moving mine outside. What kind of light setup do you have? I used the Jiffy's organic soil as well I wonder if maybe it's a soil issue?

Mine looked very similar. I ended up just moving mine outside. What kind of light setup do you have? I used the Jiffy's organic soil as well I wonder if maybe it's a soil issue?
I have a 2 bulb 5ft flourescent with daylight bulbs, not sure of the ouput. I'm gonna pot them up in miracle gro soil and see if that jump starts them.

I have a 2 bulb 5ft flourescent with daylight bulbs, not sure of the ouput. I'm gonna pot them up in miracle gro soil and see if that jump starts them.

Maybe some others have had success growing in that soil but mine looked even weaker than yours. I hate moving them when they are so small and delicate but if they aren't growing or aren't healthy then something needs to change.

Mine look pretty much the same as these, and I sowed Feb 2. I also used Pro~Mix® and I give em tea like once every 2 weeks. I'll get a pic later. When did they break soil? That can be something too, as they all don't come up at the same time.

I'm first time Pro~Mix® user and I highly recommend it. I used to use Miracle Gro and before I thought it was the best soil, until this last time it really messed up my Bach.... They grew slow and some turned yellow... long story.. So Pro~Mix® FTW :D!

,Vegas

The mycorrhizae in the ProMix is what sold me on it. I have tried numerous soils/starting mixes for my plants (aside from Miracle Grow as I refuse to buy products from them) and ProMix is the best performer for me. I have't had an issue with a soil borne fungus or damping off since switching. I haven't tried the one with the bio-fungicide as I haven't had an issue with fungus since switching, but it is only $1 a bale more.

Here's a few of many. It's really worth it to get Pro~Mix®. It can really pump your season while other mediums really give a headache and can cost you your season.

I would say yours look too small.

IMG_20130328_144349.jpg

,Vegas

Pot up, more light, more nutrients. These chinenses were sowed 2/2 and the annums on 2/18. Sorry for the rogue eggplant inflating my success. Pic is from monday i think.

photo+%284%29.jpg

i upsized the containers on about half of my plants this weekend so we'll see if that helps, I used Miracle Gro potting mix, mixed in some perlite and bone meal, also watered them in with a weak solution of Alaska fish emulsion fertilizer, it's 5-1-1, so just hope that they take off, I don't have the other lights up yet in this picture.

IMG_20130331_164831_zps3f804ce2.jpg

Back