• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Are seeds from Frozen peppers Viable?

I have a yellow fatalli in my Freezer. It has been there since last October. I'm going to be eating it soon. Can I save the seeds, or will they not be viable?

They may be viable Buddy sent me Yellow Scotch Bonnet from Tobago he had it in the freezer for while and now i have healthy plant

Cool - cause I LOVED another Fatalli that was probably from the same plant that this pod was from. It had the same yellow pepper flavor that a scotch bonnet has, but it lacked the bitterness, it was hotter and the flavor was much more concentrated.

This season I tried with some frozen Rocotos and Aji Amarillo and came out zero for 6. My understanding is that it depends on how they're frozen.

I have heard of other success stories, but the germ rates or probabilities seem to go down. It's the same story with old seed stock.

Potawie - Somebody sent me the fresh pod. I put it in a Ziploc bag and put it in my freezer. Is this considered "moisture freezing?"

They are likely no good but why not give them a try

like he said.
the ones i have from frozen were in a pepper in the freezer. used the pepper in cooking and kept some seeds to plant. and got results. cant remember what ratio sprout to non sprout. but its certainly worth the try.
doesnt take much on your part to try right?

Potawie - Somebody sent me the fresh pod. I put it in a Ziploc bag and put it in my freezer. Is this considered "moisture freezing?"

Probably -- it depends on how much moisture was still in the pod and how quickly they froze --- figure the water expands as it freezes and this is what damages the seed as the pressure inside the casing increases as the water expands as it freezes damaging the cells -- but doesn't hurt to try them anyway then you'll know. -- ( figure same thing occurs in nature if the plants were growing wild and the pods either fall to the ground or are still on the plant as winter arrives - some survive or there wouldn't be any plants left growing )

Moisture inside the seed + freezing = expansion...

Seedbanks will store dry seeds for years in liquid nitrogen (which is a far cry colder than the temp the average freezer sits at). I suspect your germation rates might not be perfect, but there is nothing to lose in the trying, and everything to gain.

Considering peppers are high on oil compared to other plants there may be a chance that the oil can save the seeds from getting destroyed while being frozen.

Seedbanks will store dry seeds for years in liquid nitrogen (which is a far cry colder than the temp the average freezer sits at). I suspect your germation rates might not be perfect, but there is nothing to lose in the trying, and everything to gain.

Stored in Liquid N2 b/c it will freeze faster. Faster freezing = Smaller H2O crystals = less lysing of cell walls.

That being said, no harm in trying.

Even a normal freezer will preserve seeds for a very long time, as long as the seeds were dry enough and don't go through several freeze and thaw cycles

Back