• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are these all ok?

Hey guys got about 4 72 cell trays full of seedlings and am trying to keep them there for 1 more week but I noticed tonight that some ate lime yellow with reddish or brown tints. I also have several with mis-shaped leaves. Overall most look ok but I'm wondering if I should change my pot up plans? I also have a handful that are cupping pretty badly. Most of the mis-shaped ones are the same strain but not all. There also seems to be the early signs of cal deficency on some here are some pics thoughts? I have been keeping water in the tray underneath with dilute nutes including light Calmag

Check out the yellowing color and the reddish brown tint

IMG_2746.jpg

Same color on these two and the leaves are funky

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Got a few cupping upwards

IMG_5693.jpg

Here's an overall of the tray that has most of the issues. See the light puckering?

IMG_0116.jpg

So are these major issues, should I speed up my pot up schelude? Is this too much nutes? Like I said overall they look good especially the other trays.Thoughts ?

Looks like calcium deficiency to me too. Maybe there is too much fertilizer causing it. The light green might be from overwatering.

Looks like calcium deficiency to me too. Maybe there is too much fertilizer causing it. The light green might be from overwatering.

They have roots hanging out the bottom don't they need to stay wet? Also the light green is only a few. I just dumped the trays with the mute solution so that the trays are empty, I rinsed each plug and am gonna let them dry but do I put water back in the tray?

They have roots hanging out the bottom don't they need to stay wet? Also the light green is only a few. I just dumped the trays with the mute solution so that the trays are empty, I rinsed each plug and am gonna let them dry but do I put water back in the tray?

I'd transfer those to cups. The peat isn't good for drainage and the size can easily dry out. The roots will be fine. Mine grow out of the holes in the cups and 2 liter soda bottles I use. I'm not familiar with trays. The soil looks too wet for those plants though.

Hey Robin!

Dude.. Some of mine are doing the exact same thing..

It's over fertilizing.

That's the only thing it could be. I'm using organic soil with no nutes and my plants are a good distance from the lights.. Therefore the only thing I can imagine it would be is the fertilizer.. Just like you said, only some strains are being affected by it.. Most plants show no syptoms at all.
Hope this helps.

Brandon

I'd transfer those to cups. The peat isn't good for drainage and the size can easily dry out. The roots will be fine. Mine grow out of the holes in the cups and 2 liter soda bottles I use. I'm not familiar with trays. The soil looks too wet for those plants though.

So the roots don't need to be in water? If not I'll let them dry out over night. Maybe add some water to the trays tomorrow.

Just a side note after reading your last reply..

It is okay to let your plants dry out to the point of wilting..

Pretend they're growing in India!

Hey Robin!

Dude.. Some of mine are doing the exact same thing..

It's over fertilizing.

That's the only thing it could be. I'm using organic soil with no nutes and my plants are a good distance from the lights.. Therefore the only thing I can imagine it would be is the fertilizer.. Just like you said, only some strains are being affected by it.. Most plants show no syptoms at all.
Hope this helps.

Brandon

Humm .. man it's a very delicate thing trying to keep them healthy in the plugs without over doing it. Tonight I dumped all the nute water from the trays they are dry now. I rinsed each plug and am now stressing about if I should put water back into the trays? The roots are hanging out the bottom and on top of that they ate showing signs of Cal deficency . Thinking like I said to Dulac letting them dry out over night then more water on the trays tomorrow what do you think? By the way what strains?

Just a side note after reading your last reply..

It is okay to let your plants dry out to the point of wilting..

Pretend they're growing in India!

Even tender little seedlings ? Man I can't do it lol.
All that stands between them and death is a little peat puck. They have beautiful roots hanging out the bottom .. dry out don't know if I can do that.

Peppers don't need a lot of moisture and too much causes all sorts of problems. If the roots are coming out of the bottom it may be a cue to move them up into a larger pot size, but ideally you should wait until there is a nice root network in the media itself. Overly moist media can cause root dieback, which can set back your plants considerably.

from what I read peat is good to start em in but it becomes Acidic, my directions on the peat bag says you may need to add lime to adjust the PH when making potting soil for some plants. there are some good threads about soil mixing on here.

from what I read peat is good to start em in but it becomes Alkaline, my directions on the peat bag says you may need to add lime to adjust the PH when making potting soil for some plants. there are some good threads about soil mixing on here.

Hummm ... lime is alkaline? I thought peat was acidic.

Humm .. man it's a very delicate thing trying to keep them healthy in the plugs without over doing it. Tonight I dumped all the nute water from the trays they are dry now. I rinsed each plug and am now stressing about if I should put water back into the trays? The roots are hanging out the bottom and on top of that they ate showing signs of Cal deficency . Thinking like I said to Dulac letting them dry out over night then more water on the trays tomorrow what do you think? By the way what strains?

Even tender little seedlings ? Man I can't do it lol.
All that stands between them and death is a little peat puck. They have beautiful roots hanging out the bottom .. dry out don't know if I can do that.

I bet man.. Reason #267 I decided not to use plugs lol. If you have roots coming out of the bottom of the plugs that means it's time to pot up. I know Jack (superhot) does that with all his 500 plugs.. Once they're in soil you'll have a much easier time keeping them healthy and judging when to water.

The strains? Hmmm.. Off the top of my head the Naga Big Bangs, Some of the Dorsets, Infinitys, Infinity w/tail, and the Monster Nagas.

Your right about not letting the tender little seedlings get to the point of wilting.. I didn't know all of your plants were still in plugs. With that said and knowing you have beautiful roots hanging out the bottom.. again, It's time to pot up! They can stay dry in soil for quite a while before they start to wilt.. Plugs? Not so much. Reason #268.. lol. Hope this helps. dude.

Back