• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are These Fungus Gnats Larvae? What should I do?

Hi All,

Can someone tell me if these little pests are Fungus Gnats Larvae? The picture is where I have lifted a 9cm seedling pot off the top of the capillary matting? which I have lifted out of the water revisor as I also believe it is get to saturated with water and on some of the seedlings the leaves are going yellow, but I also have some of the new leaves staying crinkled see picture below which I believe is lack of feed. how do I get rid of these fungus gnats larvae. I believe I have to let them dry out?will this kill them? will these kill my seedlings? but it looks like I also need to feed them thow? so how can I let them dry out?

u73lM1zl.jpg

Xjaz3Tvl.jpg

Not sure about the leaf crinkling, but those aren't fungus gnats. Fungus gnats look like little maggots with shiny black heads.

Most likely, house fly maggots. I can't tell the difference from cousins of the house fly. Just clean it up and keep an eye on your plants. Don't overwater.

Those are called springtails. Most species are about flea-sized -- and will jump like fleas if you try nudging them with a pencil-point. They prefer decaying vegetable matter -- the same soil-borne detritus that earthworms eat -- but can subsist on many different things. Their populations explode in the absence of predators to the point where they consume all of their preferred food... and, at that point, they graze most/all of the root-hairs off your plants' roots.

Without root hairs, the plants starve. They show multiple nutrient deficiency symptoms.

Population surges of them are most likely in situations where water abounds -- capillary mats, rockwool and other constantly-wet media are the most likely breeding grounds for them.

Diatomaceous earth, insecticidal soil drenches, predators (the soil-dwelling predatory mite, Hypoaspis miles, for example) can control/eliminate them. Heavy infestations are cases where a soil drench is warranted. A mixture of insecticidal soap and biodegradable toxins (ie.: neem oil, pyrethrins) has worked for me, in the past. Adding a teaspoon/quart of diatomaceous earth, and keeping it in suspension (shake frequently while applying, so it doesn't settle) is even more effective.

Diatomaceous earth is an ultra-fine abrasive grit... it might damage a recirculating pump, if that is part of your equipment involved. I have no experience with these.

Note that the few you can see on the capillary mats are the proverbial 'tip of the iceberg'... your plants' rootballs are probably seething with them. It actually takes quite a large number of these tiny beasts to visibly harm plants.

Back