• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are these ready for bigger pots?

Or should they go a little longer in these 1 Qt containers?
Just wanted your opinions.

IMG_1616.jpg

I noticed little difference in the ultimate size and production of my plants even when I potted up early. But I did have my best ever Gold Bullet Hab when I left it longer than normal in a 1 gallon container. It seemed like it gained a lot of height. But I also had a perfectly healthy and large Fresno plant that got transplanted to it's final pot (4 gallon container) when it was still a one inch seedling. So....., IMO the most important thing is whenever you have the time. Your plants could certainly at least move up to a 1 gallon. Remember, most plants start out in the ground as a seed and they do very well in most cases.

My plants were much larger than that when I transplanted them out of 3.5X3.5x4 inch containers into gallon containers, so you could let them go longer. I don't see any evidence of root activity at the drain holes, so I'd say they have rrom to grow. However, it won't hurt them to be transplanted at this point either. If you've got the extra time, and may not have the time in a couple weeks, then go for it.

I actually had a similar incident to BigT, as my plants really shot up in height over the past couple weeks, and it may have been due to less root space in their pots. I just transplanted them this weekend, and many of them were headed for issues if I hadn't transplanted them.

If the roots are grown in enough to transplant easily then I'd pot up. If the rootball hasn't grown enough it will make potting more difficult and messy but no big deal. Try your biggest plant first

POTAWIE said:
If the roots are grown in enough to transplant easily then I'd pot up. If the rootball hasn't grown enough it will make potting more difficult and messy but no big deal. Try your biggest plant first

I agree with Potawie, Try the biggest one. My guess, judging by the size of the plant is that they still have room in those pots. I usually wait until the plant shows its first buds and then transplant it into its final pot. I find they grow their largest that way. Its worse if you let it get too root bound.:)

Those plants could easily double, or triple, in size in those containers. I usually start my seeds in a 72 cell tray in Feb. and repot them into 81/2-10 oz cups after they get 3-4 leaves on them (about the middle of March). I leave them in the cups until they go in the garden around the middle of April and they are usually about 12 inches tall by then. I do need to water them a little more often than I would if they were in bigger pots, but that's no problem.

You can transplant them earlier if you want to, but by the end of the growing season I doubt that you'll notice any difference. And since you're in the Bahamas you can pretty much just plant them when you're ready.

Alan

Thanks for all of your responses.

I did pot up 6 of them into 1 gallon pots. The roots were well established and held all the soil together nicely.

Back