• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Are these seeds cooked?

First mishap of the growing season, and its only in germination.

I've got 15 ziplock bags w/ paper towels in my 'chamber' with a heat mat underneath. I've had the aluminum roasting pan suspended over a heat mat to get a good 80-85 degree temp for a week. A couple of annums have popped already.

So, I come home from work tonight and am poking around looking for more sprouts and notice the bags are too warm. Turns out the suspension got knocked out of place and the pan was in direct contact with the heat mat for at least 12 hours, maybe 18 hours. I estimate the temp reached 90-95 on some of the bags.

What are the odds of the seeds being toast, in your opinion?

Thankfully, I've learned to hold so of each seed batch in reserve for just such an occasion.

Yeah I agree. Happened to me with no real negative results.

It's been 12 days since I put seeds into bags. So far my germ rates are very low. It's somewhat interesting that my best growth has been with seeds kept from my own plants - some 2 year old Thai Dragon pods and a sweet mini-bell pepper that was preserved only by sitting all winter on top of a soda can behind the computer desk. :halo: Thankfully some others are finally coming around and I'm hopeful I didn't sterilize the majority. Brain Strains took 16 days to pop; Aji Limon and Beni Highlands at 11 days; and a very few of the other Chinense at 11 or 12 days. Still have some at zero, so there may be one more sowing in soil to insure those varieties. Since I've been opening the bags for inspection each day I've had to add a little water to keep them at a good moisture level. Hang in there, kids I know you can do it!

All my seeds get germinated at 90/95, I've no choice here in Thailand. I still get a very good germination rate.

Back