• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

are these sprouts far enough to not kill each other?

I didn't want to buy pots/dirt for all the seeds I got, so I tossed the left over seeds into a shaded part of my yard. Surprisingly, they're doing a lot better than the ones I've been messing with (lots died due to rain / early transplanting), if I leave them alone forever will they do fine, or at one point will I have to move a few if I want them all to live?

spider%20005.jpg

They won't kill each other  but one will dominate and you will end up with a bunch of little , malnourished plants. I would move them when they get there first set of true leaves. 

romy6 said:
They won't kill each other  but one will dominate and you will end up with a bunch of little , malnourished plants. I would move them when they get there first set of true leaves.
[/qu
Yep, divide them when they get a little older.

romy6 said:

first set of true leaves is way too young for this area, I'll just wait until I can easily tell they're malnourished I guess

By the time you are able to tell that they are easily malnourished you risk disturbing the root systems of the other plants.  Is it the end of the world? No, but why do it?  They look to be inches apart, which is what most people do when initially planting and either separate or cull.  If you want to save them all, I would move them earlier than later.  Also, think about it this way, you could wait and see which comes up malnourished, or you could separate them an and all come up evenly (barring any craziness). 

Just my .02

MGOLD86 said:
By the time you are able to tell that they are easily malnourished you risk disturbing the root systems of the other plants.  Is it the end of the world? No, but why do it?  They look to be inches apart, which is what most people do when initially planting and either separate or cull.  If you want to save them all, I would move them earlier than later.  Also, think about it this way, you could wait and see which comes up malnourished, or you could separate them an and all come up evenly (barring any craziness). 

Just my .02
I'll wait until they get about this big then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Bv52vi9c&t=6m11s

Agreed with MGold.  You'll disturb roots systems less when they are younger. Sprouts seem to take a lot of abuse with hardly any transplant shock.

Or you can wait for another set of leaves, they'll just take an extra fews days to re-establish themselves because of torn roots etc.

Back