• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are you getting the MOST from your pods??

I just wanted to share my uses, and see if I am missing any of the wonderful ways to enjoy peppers.........

Obviously FRESH has to top the list.
Fresh pods in salsa, spaghetti, ice cream, etc. Wonderful!

POWDER is my next favorite. From ripe jalapeno powder to smoked hab powder, NO ONE HERE should buy: chili powder, cayenne, or paprika again!!!! You would not believe the difference home grown powder makes.

SAUCE is a little vague, but it must be mentioned. From purees to extracts, sauces are a joy.The recipes and methods are endless.

PICKLED peppere are fantastic. I have habs and jalapenos all winter stored in vinegar, garlic, and salt. I use the vinegar from the jars to re-fill my old tabasco bottles.:D
*refridgerated only for this method!!*

PRESSURE CANNING is taking my method a step further and allows warm storage, and an endless variety of recipes.

JELLIES have been mentioned here, a variation on canning that sounds interesting!

*SALTED
*evidently a light packing of salt that will preserve peppers for several months. (thanks omri!)

These are not just methods for using extra pods. Each and every method mentioned brings out a different character in the peppers used.

You can't just rub a ripe paprika on your ribs and call it done.;)

And in the dead of winter (most places) you won't find yummy habaneros readilly available.

If you consume all of your peppers fresh during the growing season, you aren't growing enough!:D

Fresh, dried, pickled, made into paste, made into sauce, roasted, smoked, candied, grilled, salted, frozen, powder and still looking for new ways.

Don't forget oils and alcohols, and pesticides, and decorative/edible ristras. I'm still trying to figure out how to extract dies from peppers without getting the heat

cheezydemon said:
Salted? I need to look that one up!

Isn't that how tobasco does it, and then runs vinegar through it?
Nope. same process as salted meat, just a bit more "light".

I couldn't find anything on salting peppers on google.

Salting meats involves packing them in salt, right?

Do you halve the pods or leave them whole?

With meat you use a lot of salt to "dry" and preserve the meat, you need to be more gentle with ya chiles. mine are whole.

Like in tupperware in a cool dark place? Do they dehydrate?

Sorry, but this is just what I was looking for!

*candied sounds good too TXcloset!*

With meat you use A LOT of salt for X amount of meat. with veggies you need A LOT LESS. they end up moist, but no longer juicy. they do preserve for long periods of time if stored properly, just like jerky.

cheezydemon said:
And in the dead of winter (most places) you won't find yummy habaneros readilly available.

Thankfully Texas isn't most places :(

Habs do especially well candied because of their fruity flavor and nice heat. Candying takes a lot of the heat out so you want to start with something pretty fiery if you want any heat left in the finished product.

Don't forget to save the syrup for using later! Hot syrup can be used in place of simple syrup in mixed drinks for instance, or whatever you can think of.

Txclosetgrower said:
Thankfully Texas isn't most places :(

Habs do especially well candied because of their fruity flavor and nice heat. Candying takes a lot of the heat out so you want to start with something pretty fiery if you want any heat left in the finished product.

Don't forget to save the syrup for using later! Hot syrup can be used in place of simple syrup in mixed drinks for instance, or whatever you can think of.
Don't know what to tell ya... if lower the fire as soon as it boils, it stays real hot. the hot syrup is indeed great.

cheezydemon said:
I think he means spice Omri.:(

Not the heat in the pan.;)

Lol yeah, the heat from the peppers, not heat as in temperature. Discussing heat can be kinda confusing on a pepper forum :)

bubba.jpg

Approves.

cheezydemon said:
I think he means spice Omri.;)

Not the heat in the pan.:)
I was talking about heat as in -> :(
If you boil it for too long, apparently part of the cap evaporates. if you cook it right, it'll stay hot.

Back