• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Asian Beetles

Are you sure they aren't Mexican Bean Beetles? Those tore up my green beans last year. Ate them down to just stems and skeleton leaf veins.

mexican-bean-beetle.jpg

http://www.garden.org/pestlibrary/bugs.php?q=show&id=1625

Thought I'd wake this thread up.

Living in Thailand the Asian lady bug is the only one I've got. Do they eat your plants? I've been Googling away and I can't find anything about them nibbling on your plants. I've got a small aphid problem :( and I'm thinking of offering some of the local kids some cash to go out and collect me a few hundred lady bugs (if you find one there's usually thousands with her).

Anyone got a link to some info that says they're bad for plants. I don't want to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Cheers.

All I know is the cover the warm side of houses around here in the fall. Some years worse than others. They tend to find their way indoors and you will find them for months after the snow flies. I dont know if they eat Aphids or Pepper plants and I really cannot tell them from a Lady bug but they are a pain in the you know what some years.

All I know is the cover the warm side of houses around here in the fall. Some years worse than others. They tend to find their way indoors and you will find them for months after the snow flies. I dont know if they eat Aphids or Pepper plants and I really cannot tell them from a Lady bug but they are a pain in the you know what some years.
They eat aphids, I'm sure on that. Plus I know they are a pain in butt to you guys in the US. But here in Thailand they are no problems, no need for them to seek out warm houses as we don't have a winter.

I've just been to a plant nursery and I asked them and they didn't seem to think they we're any problem. But I'd still like to hear from the guys on here that say they chow down on pepper plants. I don't want to introduce any pepper snacking lady bugs to my seedlings.

Someone please show me a scientific publication, a university extension pamphlet/link, or some other reliable(official) source that states that adult (or larvae) of the Asian Multi-Colored Ladybug (or Ladybird Beetle) Harmonia axyridis feeds on the foliage of plants! They are indeed a "ladybug". They feed on small soft-bodied insects such as aphids, and nectar. There is evidence that they have displaced many native North American species of ladybugs. They do congregate in huge numbers inside homes, which is why they are considered a structural/indoor pest, not an agricultural pest. I have observed many of them inside my home in the winter feeding on aphids on my overwintering plants. They will bite, and they do stink when disturbed. They will not feed on the leaves of your peppers (or any other plant), neither would the Asian Longhorn. Please google The latin name provided and read up on them, so that misconceptions are not spread. Thanks.

Back