• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

auqaponics questions need help!

i'm thinking of taking the dive in the near future if i get the greenhouse that i want.  

its an ikea HINDO series greenhouse  

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290283/

i figure i can put atleast a 10 - 15 gallon tank underneath the greenhouse, i also plan on taking two shelves out for growth possibly.  

i'm also wanting to run LED lights, and going to adapt some of the lighting setups ive seen here!  

basically i want to have something that is "out"  but looks great 

in terms of fish or aquatic life, i was thinking of mud puppies, thoughts?  i've always been curious about this salamander and i think  i can get them locally from a mom and pop shop.   

for 2 shelves what kinda GPH would i be looking for?  i want to get it perfect, and i want to make sure i have what i need.  what should i do for water clairity?  etc :)   

hey ive run aquaponics for peppers with led lights so i feel i can offer some feedback on ur project

firstly about ur fish species: it doestnt really matter what you use BUT you should consider the PH requiremens of those fish because the plants will want the PH at around 6 so if ur fish need a PH of 5 to survive then it wont work. I used and suggest you use goldfish, you can get really cool looking ones and they are super hardy and eat and shit all the time so perfect for AP

the greenhouse you listed has a few issues, firstly you will have to install ventilation(like cut some holes in and run some pc fans) to extract humidity and heat 

also by the time you get a tank on the bottom and 12"of  hydroton you will only have room for 1 plant

the other thing u will have trouble with is getting fruit on ur plants

water will be Crystal clear though so no worries there- it wont stink or anything, drinking quality 

good luck

Suggest you check out RobBob on YouTube . Aquaponics guru with excellent tuition videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i figured i was going to have to mount some 120's in the system.  

edit:   i figured i am going to use a raspberry pi and get some raspiviv going :)  perhaps have a script to monitor humidity and then whip the fans on and monitor.  

even if i prune them and keep them at a certain height they will still need the whole greenhouse to grow?  

gangaskan said:
i figured i was going to have to mount some 120's in the system.  

edit:   i figured i am going to use a raspberry pi and get some raspiviv going :)  perhaps have a script to monitor humidity and then whip the fans on and monitor.  

even if i prune them and keep them at a certain height they will still need the whole greenhouse to grow?  
well lets see

you would have (these are the outer dimensions so take about an inch or 2 off for internal-where u plants are)

1 foot deep
2 foot wide and
4.7 ft tall?

a single pepper plant will easily fill out a conapy of 1x2ft so i plant per shelf

now vertical

fishtank will take up around 1ft(hight)

growbed takes 1ft

distance from light to canopy 1 ft

you are left with 1.7 ft of space for the plant hight- yes aggressive prunning and LST will be needed

well, i got it, but you're right, i think it will be good for conventional seed starting more than it is anything.  i was only able to fit 1 14 tray flat on a level at a time.  based on that it is going to be impossible, however, i do have some other things in the works that might be a better "backyard" type system.   i'll have to measure it  :)  

Back