• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Aurora Colorado

this tragedy is absolutely horrific. I just hosted a webinar on Wendesday night discussing psychopaths and the predator archetype. We talked about disturbing movies such as "We Need to Talk About Kevin" which is about a mother raising a psychopathic son that eventually attacks his school. The notion that people exist who can carry out these senseless and random acts of violence without conscience is very scary. this one individual shot more than 70 people including an infant. I think i will go though with getting my carry permit now.

looking at this freak makes me shiver
AyQkGYlCMAECxLW.jpg

The more media coverage this gets. The more likely something similar wil occur. These people are looking for attention, be it positive or negative. People see the attention then copy cat the crime.

I feel bad for those hurt and killed, but the more the media dwells on this tragic event, the more ideas you put into peoples minds.

I have said my prayers for the victims and their families...it is tragic, yet unavoidable at the same time. This is the way the world works. We will never be rid of people like this or these types of scenarios. There's good and there's bad....some people are just evil and others mentally deranged. We will be fighting it to the end of time. That doesn't take away from how horrible it is. I just feel like it's part of nature and the world we live in.

I hope all of the families can find peace somehow and I will keep them with me today.

I think i will go though with getting my carry permit now.

Hi, I hate to make this my first post to the site. I was coming here just to look up SalsaLady's entry for the Chopped TD... Going to try something similar.. only nowhere near as hot since my hubby's a wimp, :shh: But also substituting nectarines and plums for the apples, since he's allergic to them...

Anyway, I have nothing against gun ownership (though I see no reason for civilians to own assault rifles) Nor do I have a problem in general with getting a carry permit. I've considered getting one for myself.

But that your interest was piqued by this unfortunate tragedy strikes me a bit odd. The scene is a darkened theatre, lots of people in dark costumes, the gunman in head to toe body armor and gas mask, tear gas and/or pepper spray deployed. Lots of panicked people running around while this guy's rapidly and randomly firing an AR-15 at them.

In this situation, do you really believe you could pull out your handgun, draw a bead on him and stop him, without injuring anyone else or getting yourself shot? I have to believe that were I armed and in that theatre, I'd decide the safest thing I could do is get down on the floor (yes into the sticky mess of soda and popcorn)and get under my seat as much as possible until the shooting stopped.

I applaud your wish to have been able to mitigate this horrible event, but I don't believe trying to be the hero would have done any good in this instance.

I'm going to have to respectfully, completely disagree with you. That is the whole point of a conceal and carry permit. To protect yourself, not get on the floor and hide, hoping you don't get shot. Maybe it doesn't go down The way you hoped but it couldn't go down any worse than it did. I'd rather die trying to protect myself and others than get on the floor and "Hope" the shooting stops and I'm lucky enough to be alive.

Thanks Scovie, you said it before I did. If someone wants to debate gun ownership and assault rifles, let's do it in a separate thread.

Prayers to all the victims of this horrible act.

Back