event Austin Hot Sauce Festival

Great fun this year at the festival. First, it was under 100 degrees unlike last year. (Actually it rained a little, which right here, right now is a blessing.)

It was great fun talking to some of the commercial guys and buying anything that stood out. Got a hatch/habanero green sauce and a 7-pot with pineapple and ginger. Both are tasty and great new additions to the wall de sauce.

The festival, however, is confusingly labeled. All of the amateur stuff is geared towards salsa while the hot sauce is generally in booths around the perimeter and exclusive to commercial bottlers.

Any other festivals people recommend that are geared more towards hot sauce?

Any Texas chile heads there?

Cheers,

cap

logo_main_web-300x145.png

[background=rgb(0, 0, 0)]September 15th, 11am – 6pm • September 16th, Noon – 5pm[/background]
http://houstonhotsauce.com/

Stafford Centre
Stafford, TX 77477
[/background]

I popped in to the festival for a short time with my daughter. As usual the lines were long and hot. The music and crowd is always fun and probably unique. For me the Hot sauce competition is too compartmentalized. Red sauce here!, Green sauce there! And special variety back of the room. To me, (The festival) its more of a casual party gathering witch is absolutely not a bad thing. Serious chileheads will much prefer ZestFest! I have not been to Houston's show but I suspect it is very good.

As far as the amateur stuff being "geared to salsa", it is merely coincidental to what individuals enter and consider their "hot sauce entry". I did not go through the taste lines this year, but I did last year and there were plenty of sauces. It's a strong possibility that many "amateur's" are serving up fresh ingredients as hot sauce and with the quantity of entries that should be expected.

After the festival trip we hit Shady Grove for my fave Green Chile Chicken Fried Chicken with Twice baked Jalapeno Potato and a side of green chile cheese fries. Stopped by Fiesta market to pick up some Manzano peppers. Manzano and 7 pot Barrackpore puree's in the future.

Later Mike

Mike,

Mike, reading about your day just made me hungry. I went through most of the 'red sauce' line and only 2 or 3 could have been called sauce, as the rest were mostly table salsas. Either way, they were tasty and there were quite a few small, commercial outfits whose sauce I hadn't tasted before.

I have heard of ZestFest, now I have again and will try to get there.

Cheers,

Jeff

Back