• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Avoiding Fertilizer Burn

I want to try to give my plants a boost before they start going flower crazy later on by giving them some high-nitrogen fertilizer. I have Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Plant Food / 24-8-16 and its directions say to dilute one tablespoon per gallon of water. Being paranoid, I want to use less than recommended, so I was thinking one tablespoon for two gallons, half the recommended for outside watering can use. I have a 2-gallon watering can, so it would also be an easy measure.

However, a few days ago a spread some 10-10-10 slow-release pellets; I'm not sure if that would put it over the edge (no idea when it releases, but I've only watered a couple times lightly since applying and it hasn't rained at all since sprinkling them). I also tried foliar feeding the plants with 1/2 teaspoon fertilizer (same stuff) and 1/2 teaspoon magnesium sulfate in 2 liters of water, once last week and once this week with a 2L spraying/misting can. Haven't really fed the roots yet, and I somehow doubt the slow-release granules did much yet (they'll probably roll off more than anything as I water the plants since I didn't mix it into the soil as was supposed to be done). Do you guys think it would be safe to do?

Also, with the plants being so short, it's hard to water them and not get the water on their stems/leaves; would such an amount of fertilizer be safe if it happened to splash somewhat heavily on some leaves? Or should I follow up immediately with a rinsing of plain water?

How big are your plants? I'm new at growing peppers, so my knowledge is limited. But if they are really young, I would not fertilize with 24-8-16. Maybe try fish/seaweed fertilizer mixed at 1/4 strength, but then again it all depends on how big your plants are.

^ Good question. Less is always better than more; if you over do it, you'll likely knock them back more than if you give them less. The time release will dose every time you water. How often are you supposed to re-apply the slow release? Why not wait till then and then apply the 24-8-16? Don't be in too much of a hurry or you'll mother-hen-them-to-death. Cheers. ;)

P.S. I'm speaking to me as much as you. :)

Don't make the mistake of trying to "make" your plants grow in a certain way. Instead you should simply "let" your plants grow the way that they normally would. This means you should feed your plants the nutrients they need when/if they they show you they need something. By constantly giving your plants fertilizer and or plant food in one form or another you could be doing more harm to them than good.

I use compost, or composted manure, to feed all of my plants and I only feed them with another source as a last resort if they show they need a certain nutrient.

Alan

Mister_Al said:
Don't make the mistake of trying to "make" your plants grow in a certain way. Instead you should simply "let" your plants grow the way that they normally would. This means you should feed your plants the nutrients they need when/if they they show you they need something. By constantly giving your plants fertilizer and or plant food in one form or another you could be doing more harm to them than good.

I use compost, or composted manure, to feed all of my plants and I only feed them with another source as a last resort if they show they need a certain nutrient.

Alan
Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier I just watered regularly (no additives/fertilizer). By the way, some of my plants looked a bit yellowish--that's the reason for the two earlier foliar feedings, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it on the other plants (after all... I'd be wasting about two liters if I didn't). I just looked today when I watered and the plants appeared to have greened up some.

One more question though... does that slow release stuff really work? Because I was originally contemplating removing it from the soil and just going the liquid route if required to avoid fertilizer burn; I just have a hard time believing that it works very well. But at this point, I just said "screw it" and will just leave it there and watch it go as you suggested. Hopefully it does work, because it says it's not supposed to be fertilized again for two months... but my guess is that it'll start disappearing during heavy rains as it gets carried by the water (and as I water the plants myself).

You've just discovered why a lot of folks don't use time release ferts--zero control. Lots of good advice before me, I just wanted to add to give what you've already used time to work and get used up before trying anything new. Best of luck to you UltraZelda64.

UltraZelda64 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier I just watered regularly (no additives/fertilizer). By the way, some of my plants looked a bit yellowish--that's the reason for the two earlier foliar feedings, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it on the other plants (after all... I'd be wasting about two liters if I didn't). I just looked today when I watered and the plants appeared to have greened up some.

One more question though... does that slow release stuff really work? Because I was originally contemplating removing it from the soil and just going the liquid route if required to avoid fertilizer burn; I just have a hard time believing that it works very well. But at this point, I just said "screw it" and will just leave it there and watch it go as you suggested. Hopefully it does work, because it says it's not supposed to be fertilized again for two months... but my guess is that it'll start disappearing during heavy rains as it gets carried by the water (and as I water the plants myself).

Yes, generally they do. Osmocote is one I use (but not for peppers) and it's just fine. For peppers I use NPK, egg shells, and a micro nute (for magnesium etc.). I'm new to growing Capsicum and don't want to lock myself into anything until I find a combo that works the best.

I am using Miracle grow soil as well, mixed with a 4 month fert., Bone meal, worm castings, perlite, seed starting mix.

I feed with a variety of MG mixed with Epsom Salts or Chili Focus or Worm casting tea.

I foliar feed with MG and Epsom Salts.

And although this is only my second year, my plants look much better than last year.

SO YES you can use both. Especially if you used the time release in moderation.

Back