• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Baccatum Cross or Cultivar?

ohs101.jpg

v4uybp.jpg

Pods are up to four inches long and approximately the diameter of an adult's index finger.

Just one chile, so far, has ripened to yellow.  Heat was moderate, maybe around serrano or so level.  Flavours have been green, vegetal (bell peppery), juicy, and maybe a hint of citrus in one pod.

Seed was labeled "aji limón" but from an open-pollinated environment.

Looks like a nice pod!

My Lemon drop which is the same sort gave me around 2,5inch - 3 inch fruits.
And if yours also teaste like a bit citrus and is yellow well then its a Aji Limon you have there.
The heat seems about right aswell.
Shape is also good.

Its a great pepper one of my favs.

MAYBE AJI COLORADO??

Maybe an Aji Jose especial. ;)

Do Colorados turn yellow before red? 

Maybe Amarillo . . . or one of those crossed with limón?

whats up, Ft. Worth! wish I could say for sure, but it looks tasty!

Grill something, and I'll bring out some pods (and bring some real beer).  Otherwise, it's about to be Ferment City for baccatums, black mysteries, Cayennes, datils, fataliis, habaneros, and jalapeños since I had to harvest and/or dig up most everything yesterday due to the early freeze.

Its a great pepper; one of my faves.

Yes, they're keepers (with no Chinense "skunk").  I'm hoping I have pods mature enough to contain viable seeds.

There's more than a couple of strains labeled "aji limon" and that seems like one of them. Don't know if it's true or not because sometimes they are wishy washy with ID'ing and labeling.

That pod seems long enough to have some viable seed. The way to tell is after you've dried the seed, the ones that are puny, or start turning black around the edges usually aren't mature, the rest should be viable.

There's more than a couple of strains labeled "aji limon" and that seems like one of them. Don't know if it's true or not because sometimes they are wishy washy with ID'ing and labeling.

A second plant has darker leaves and shorter pods that I think better match up with aji limón.  Having both open-pollinated seed and someone who is new to the varieties makes for a tougher spot to start from on IDing.

That pod seems long enough to have some viable seed. The way to tell is after you've dried the seed, the ones that are puny, or start turning black around the edges usually aren't mature, the rest should be viable.

Thanks for that. 

That plant (and all the others) are potted up to overwinter, and, so far, they're responding surprisingly well.  The mystery aji has a few pods remaining on the plant, so maybe we'll see some more ripeness/maturity to help nail the ID and secure good seed.

htz2fr.jpg

An early freeze to 25 degrees Fahrenheit forced a premature harvest (and digging), and most of the pods have gone into ferments.  The mystery ajis were combined simply with Texas orange and some lime and sea salt.  Just tasted it (it's bubbling enough to thrill Don Ho), and it would be perfect—even now, still a tad sweet—spooned over the edge of a medium-rare swordfish filet (if you swing that way) or another firm white fish.

1t4kys.jpg

Definitely post a mature ripe pod if you end up with one. As wildseed mentioned earlier, it does also look like some of the so-called aji amarillo lines, and a bunch of other Baccatum types for that matter.

chancapolumbocap-2201690516972_zps4090fdcc.jpg

Autumn bounties are well worth the effort imho, nearly a dozen Baccatum types in these jars alone. I could def see myself dressing up a swordfish / tuna steak, maybe even pre-marinated, or seared in with it. Something to try next summer: charcoal grilled, peeled, seeded, blended, fried peppers, in that order, with very little oil. It'll knock your sox off, you'll find an excuse to put it on everything, even little kids lap up the non spicey recipes (spread thinly over toast etc).

Back