• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

back in the hobby!

it feels good to be back! its been a very long while since ive been on this forum, i use to here on the daily. I was deep in the hobby a couple years ago and kinda just took a 4 years break and i really want to get back into it again. I have tons of seeds and many different varieties that I collected from all the great people here but their simply not germinating anymore (which is what I was expecting from 4 year old seeds). at this point im praying some of my seeds still have life in them 

Welcome back! If you are really having a lot of trouble germinating old seeds, you might try pre-soaking them in a sugar water solution. MIgardener on YouTube successfully germinated some 87 year old :shocked: tomato seeds that way. He said that he presoaked the seeds for 4 to 5 hours in sugar water (1 tsp sugar in 1 cup water), the idea being to replenish some of the carbohydrates that the seeds have lost over time. He also warned that you must be careful not to soak them for too long in the sugar water. I have not tested this method myself, but if you are really having difficulties it could be worth a shot. Here is a video of him starting the seeds. He talks briefly about the sugar water soak at 6:30 and 19:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQRrj6YTQQ&t=453s

BlackFatalii said:
Welcome back! If you are really having a lot of trouble germinating old seeds, you might try pre-soaking them in a sugar water solution. MIgardener on YouTube successfully germinated some 87 year old :shocked: tomato seeds that way. He said that he presoaked the seeds for 4 to 5 hours in sugar water (1 tsp sugar in 1 cup water), the idea being to replenish some of the carbohydrates that the seeds have lost over time. He also warned that you must be careful not to soak them for too long in the sugar water. I have not tested this method myself, but if you are really having difficulties it could be worth a shot. Here is a video of him starting the seeds. He talks briefly about the sugar water soak at 6:30 and 19:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQRrj6YTQQ&t=453s

thanks man! i will definatley give that a try, theres some seeds in my collection im hopeing not to lose 

Back