• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bacteria ?

I'm just finding out for myself, but here's somethings that I've read:
Sulfur: I've sprayed with Safer 3 in 1 and it seemed to slow the spread
Copper: I purchased some Liqui-Cop, and will spray this weekend
Streptomycin: An anti-biotic. Seems a little much, but Agri-Mycin is OMRI listed and I might try it for next year

With the exception of Streptomycin, I think most anything that works against fungi will work on BLS. Keep in mind these things work best as a preventative. Once you have a spot on a leaf it's best to remove the leaf, if not the entire plant.

IGROW said:
What do you think about alfalfa tea or tobacco juice with mouthwash? I'm trying to grow organic.

I'm not sure about Liqui-Cop, but the other two products I listed are "OMRI" listed and are accepted in organic gardening for certain purposes. Tobacco on the other hand may not be allowed under some organic guidelines.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I stay away from the heavy pesticides. I don't want any scary chemical residue in my food. Sulfur and Copper are pretty normal and should wash off easily.

Remember, BLS is different from other pests like aphids. Soap and tobacco juice might work for aphids, but you are fighting a bacteria. You need either an anti-biotic, or something else that makes it difficult for the bacteria to reproduce (Sulfur).

BLS can also be prevented by keeping things clean and preventing water from hitting the leaf surfaces. This means clean up all the old plant material and don't water with a sprinkler.

Good Luck.

Back