• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bacterial leaf spot? Too high EC?

I mean, I don't know that I see it.  Wait until the leaf grows out, and is fully inflated.  Then, lets see what color it is.

I really don't see an unhealthy plant, here.

It turns out you were right. My theory is that the EC was too high. The problem started when they went from being fed at 0.6 EC to one feeding at 0.8 EC then one at 1.0 EC. Also perhaps a little bit of nutrients splashed on the plants when they were fed at some point.

GtXPp4h.jpg

The EC has been reduced back to 0.6 EC and they will be fed that amount for a long time yet.

The yellow parts have started to turn green. The strange growth will probably remain but the new growth looks fantastic.

Last year I did an experiment right at the end of autumn before the first frost and grew a cayenne from a seed purely outdoors using coco coir.  It was fed approx 0.7 EC from start to finish and ended up looking like this.

OPUykcZ.jpg

yesmSEb.jpg

So a chilli plant can grow to a massive size using only a small amount of nutrients. Maybe the EC only needs to increase when the plant is showing signs of a deficiency?

The second true set of leaves on the lemon drop look gnarly and I considered cutting them off but decided that they will stay. The logic here being that since the leaves haven't fallen off, the plant can still use them.

Just try to keep your EC in the middle of the road, for all stages of plant growth.  When they get bigger, you'll either feed more often, or in larger quantities, if you up-pot.  But the ratio should not just be changed for the sake of trying to do "more-better-er".  If you up the EC, know why you're doing it.  Personally, I always err on the conservative side.  If for no other reason, because I don't like flushing out media.  It's a waste of money, if you're just building up salts in your containers.

Back