• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bacterial or fungal?

A couple of my pepper plants are dropping leaves. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Probably neither. Pull those leaves off, and see if any new ones have the same issue. If not, it was mechanical damage that got infected. (in all likelihood) Maybe a local fungus. Either way, this is ultra common on pepper plants, and very rarely a cause for concern.

solid7 said:
Post more pictures.  Other plants.  Full extent of the issue.
So far its only happening to my bell pepper plants. But theyre in the same bed as my super hots. I sprayed with neem oil two days ago.
1994CAEE-D383-495C-A975-6D5B242833D3.jpeg
5B8C942C-3ECD-4937-BD44-4CD1D91D1392.jpeg
402A8851-D6FD-403D-B0AC-6F1820D93F62.jpeg
D7F8D922-88A3-47E8-B364-52668D2CDA93.jpeg
1389D6B0-B691-4714-BBFB-49EE2DEA685D.jpeg
F917CC63-9AFA-4415-BCF8-FB52C10E119F.jpeg
EEB6A687-451A-4F4D-A4F2-410D4AF18900.jpeg
31997498-773B-44D8-A7AD-77FD2A92D68B.jpeg

Have you been getting heavy rains?  Super hot days?
I don't know, I mean there is some spots, but Annuum don't tend to be at their best in the hot part of the summer.  I see a few ugly leaves, but nothing that I'd go ripping them out of the ground for.
What exactly are your expectations?  Are you looking for picture perfect specimens?
If I'm being honest, a couple of those leaves - the ones that show the dark blotches - this looks like phytoxicity. That's why I asked when you applied the Neem.  But all of my Annuum and Baccatum suffer at this time of year.  They tend to lean out, like a dog that's shedding fur, and put on a very few fruit. (if any)  
Let's approach this from another angle...  How many plants do you have, and approximately what % of coverage do these spotty leaves entail?

solid7 said:
Have you been getting heavy rains?  Super hot days?
I don't know, I mean there is some spots, but Annuum don't tend to be at their best in the hot part of the summer.  I see a few ugly leaves, but nothing that I'd go ripping them out of the ground for.
What exactly are your expectations?  Are you looking for picture perfect specimens?
If I'm being honest, a couple of those leaves - the ones that show the dark blotches - this looks like phytoxicity. That's why I asked when you applied the Neem.  But all of my Annuum and Baccatum suffer at this time of year.  They tend to lean out, like a dog that's shedding fur, and put on a very few fruit. (if any)  
Let's approach this from another angle...  How many plants do you have, and approximately what % of coverage do these spotty leaves entail?

the last two weeks have been 90s not a lot of rain in the last week but the week before that we got a lot. If this is normal for the conditions then I am good with it bc it is what it is then. This started after the first week of it being in the 90s. Theyre just dropping a boatload of leaves to the point that the tops are all thats left. The super hots and other varieties are not doing it yet. Just the bell peppers. I have two different varieties of bells in two different raised beds. Both varieties are like the pictures above. Thanks for the feedback. First time gardening this year.

Dear Shawn,
I am experiencing the same issue in my raised bed comprised of cayenne and jalapeno. Leaf drop on the bottom of the plant first, has spread to all the plants in the bed. Google searches for "fungus or bacteria leaf spot" are useless as the descriptions and pictures all look the same. Interestingly enough, I have two potted cayenne about 50 feet away with no issues. Makes me think the issue is in the soil?

I take heart in what solid7 is saying that this is somewhat normal. I do recall a humid summer like this a few years back where this seemed to be an alarming problem, but the peppers never died. It seemed to be a condition in the garden that did not go away, but it did not kill the plants.

I also think the "mechanical damage" comment solid made was interesting. Before I put the chicken wire up in mid june, rabbits had munched on all my plants.

I'm curious if you have any updates...

Remove the spotted leaves if you want but honestly, if they have a bacteria and fungal infection there isn't much you can do at this point.  You'll know if that's the problem in a month or two, your plants will be mostly dead.  As said above, losing some leaves in the middle of summer is normal and those leaves will look like the ones you're losing.  Next season you should put a mulch down, a lot of those diseases are soil borne and infect your plants from soil splashing up on them when it rains.

I went to my local gardening store. They're pretty knowledgeable. I showed them pictures of the plants from my phone. Its been hot and humid here. They gave me a spray for fungus. Since I sprayed spreading has stopped and leaf drop has stopped. The leaf drop was a bit more than a couple of leaves. Fingers crossed to see if this works ultimately.

I went away to Canada fishing and my employee was watering the plants. I suspect he was watering from over top combined with very hot and humid weather this happened.

Care to tell me what fungal spray you used? I used Dr. Earth because Serenade wasn't for sale at my Home Depot.

Back