• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bad Year

I planted 23 peppers this year and 3 tomatoes 2 of the tomatoes died. The 1 that made it has nothing but green maters on it. Of the peppers most didn't grow but just kinda stayed alive and out of the ones that did grow there's about a dozen or so peppers on 5 plants. And it's starting to get down to the 40's overnight here so season over this is what I got take a look.

DSCI0780.jpg

DSCI0779.jpg

DSCI0778.jpg

DSCI0777.jpg

DSCI0787.jpg

Long Slim

DSCI0785.jpg

Early Jalapeno

DSCI0784.jpg

Florescent Purple #1

DSCI0783.jpg

Florescent Purple #2

DSCI0782.jpg

Hot Banana

DSCI0781.jpg

I'm not sure if bananas turn red or not can any one tell me if the seeds in this are worth saving?

Hey Dave. We are still getting some sunny days here in WA and hopefully that will last at least a few more weeks. It looks like you have your plants in pots, so bring them in at night. You may not be able to do much with them this year, but you can overwinter your favorite, or best, plants so they get a good early start for next year. Even though it is a pain, it's worth it to bring them indoors when you know the temps will be too low, or that the rains will last more than a few days. Think about getting a greenhouse because that will lengthen our short season enough to possibly see some peppers or tomatoes ripen when they normally would not. This was the worst growing season in the 16 years I've been in WA, so take heart, I think the next few years will be better.

Thanks guy it wasn't the soil or sun as last year I had them in same soil and same spot. They do get alot more sun then you see that was taken early. Just a really bad year. But I was wondering about the banana pepper is it worth saving seeds from?

Yea you can definitely save the seeds from the banana pepper. As long as it didn't cross with anything you should be fine. Banana peppers don't ripen at red AFAIK, their ripe stage is yellow, or more so a cream yellow. :)

I suffered from a lot of flower drop in both my new plants and my overwintered plants, I am starting to think it was the sun and not the sun you see but those rays you can not see, action from solar flaring. Last year, if it flowered, it fruited and fruited large. This year, many flowers started out small, I am talking pinhead in size, so I would pinch them. I have a couple plants that never flowered at all. 3 fatalii no fruit, 2 plants are virtually stunted. This mostly was targeted at my chinense variety, though I did get fruit on many plants, it definitely wasn't the volumes of last year. My habaneros and caribbean red did produce fruit but around 5 pods per plant. My bulgarian carrot was a major disappointment, 2 plants, 1 with 2 pods the other with just 1.

Back