• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Balcony project

So as I mentioned in my introductory post I'm growing on a balcony for the first time. It's not exactly cramped, but there's not a ton of space to work with. Along with some herbs (Thyme, basil, flat leaf parsley, sage, cilantro, rosemary, oregano) and a lonely tomato plant I'm doing four types of peppers; Cayennes, pequins, bonnets, and Butch T scorpions. I really only have experience growing habs, so these are all firsts for me. I'm looking at 3-5 gallon containers for each, and plan on topping once the time is right. Everything was started from seed, and with the exception of the bonnets (they were late it coming up) everyone is on their second set of true leaves.

Sounds like you're gonna make good use of your space! What kind of exposure does your balcony get? If it's south and gets a lot of direct sun, I'd definitely recommend going at least 5 gallons. 
     What variety of tomato? If I only had room for one plant, I think I'd grow some kind of hybrid grape or cherry type. Interested in seeing pics either way.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Sounds like you're gonna make good use of your space! What kind of exposure does your balcony get? If it's south and gets a lot of direct sun, I'd definitely recommend going at least 5 gallons. 
     What variety of tomato? If I only had room for one plant, I think I'd grow some kind of hybrid grape or cherry type. Interested in seeing pics either way.

SSE so plenty for the first half of the day. I was leaning towards light-colored 5 gallon containers for that reason. Phil , my girlfriend named him, is a sugary variety (Indeterminate clustered grape/cherry). If I can rig something up I'm going to try stringing him. Pics are forthcoming :)

IMG_20150528_183624600_HDR.jpg

Well it certainly took long enough for me to update this :-P Going from front to back we have a Pequin, two Butch-Ts, 2 Cayennes, and another Pequin. I ended up with a bit less money to work with up front than I had hoped, so we're looking at 3 gallon black nursery pots. As the temperature really starts to ramp up I'll either re-pot or find some kind of reflective wrap.

Plants are looking good. They'll be a bit smaller but they can also grow quite big in a 3 gallon. Fill them up though, just leave about 2cm edge for the watering... good luck!

You said you're on a budget; a couple of years ago my plants were getting cooked in black pots up on the roof. I cut up a white bedsheet and draped it around the sunny side of the pots.  It worked great.  The next year I switched to white plastic grow bags, which have also worked great.

Back