Ball Mason jars

miacova said:
I have found them at my local winco for a very good price, also most ace hardware stores have a good variety most of the time and in the summer you can find canning supplies on sale most places. 
You know, ACE does have them for $7, but somehow I never think of ACE for that type of thing, only nuts and bolts and such.

Good call, I will remember that.

il_570xN.576697917_3841.jpg

:)

I've been using mason jars to store my dried pods for years. They work great. I just halve them, dry them, fill the jars with pod halves and store them in the basement. They keep way better than in ziplocs. Moisture always seems to make its way into ziplocs.
     This year I'll be sticking silica gel desiccant packs into each jar to see if it helps maintain quality even further.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I've been using mason jars to store my dried pods for years. They work great. I just halve them, dry them, fill the jars with pod halves and store them in the basement. They keep way better than in ziplocs. Moisture always seems to make its way into ziplocs.
     This year I'll be sticking silica gel desiccant packs into each jar to see if it helps maintain quality even further.

If you have a food saver you can pick up the vacuum attachment for mason jars, if your using them for long term storage it works great seals just like they were BWB sealed, I always toss an oxygen absorber in with dry goods I've sealed in jars. 

miacova said:

If you have a food saver you can pick up the vacuum attachment for mason jars, if your using them for long term storage it works great seals just like they were BWB sealed, I always toss an oxygen absorber in with dry goods I've sealed in jars. 

I've thought about that, but I open the jars so often that it would be a pain in the butt to have to be constantly resealing them. 

Back